Thursday 25 August 2011

Day 12 - 7/5/86 - South Stack to Rhosneigr

Distance: 28 km (18 miles)    Total Distance:    160 miles



Today was another day of beautiful sunshine at the end of which I was feeling quite burnt on the face from the wind and the sun.  The path from South Stack to the south-west end of Holy Island was beautiful -  full of little bays and spectacular scenery.  Only Trearddur Bay showed any signs of being commercially spoilt.  A film crew was busy on one of the cliff tops. 

Porth Dafach


Porth Dafach - again - I liked this bit.





Porth Diana

Rhoscolyn Beacon from Rhoscolyn Head

It was impossible to walk the path beyond Borthwen Bay. Farmland with no footpaths and then a caravan site, which made it clear you were not supposed to go through it, blocked my way.  Instead it was a walk up the country lane and then a footpath veered off to the east.  The supposed path turned out to be very difficult walking especially along the muddy estuary front and through farms.  I was relieved to get to Four Mile Bridge where I had lunch – a packet of Jaffa Cakes and a pint of milk.



The ford near Llanfairynubwll


I thought the next bit may also be tricky but it was surprisingly easy.  By the time I got to the ford at Llanfaryneubwll the sound of planes at  RAF Valley was deafening – the Red Arrows were there practicing. The herons at the ford did not seem to mind the noise. The area was littered with fly tipped rubbish and judging by some of the correspondence it was someone from Valley and included empty bottles of sedatives. I was able to walk right by the end of the runway with planes only a couple of yards overhead – a spectacular view. 


Jets taining at RAF Valley - my free air show

It was then a long slog along the beach of soft sand at Rhosneigr.  I was pretty tired by so decided to call it a day and start hitching back to Holyhead.  I was relieved to get a lift in a van at the end of my walk up to the main road in Rhosneigr which took me up to the A5.  I then got a lift in a new Talbot van to Valley and finally a a strange lift into Holyhead.  I went to my aunt and uncles house.  They allowed me to have a bath - great when you've been walking for a few days, and then generously took me out for a great pizza.  I went back again to camp that night at Penrhyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment