Friday 27 February 2015

Day: 136 28/5/95 Weymouth to Lulworth Cove


Weather: very good.    Distance: 16 km 
 
What a lovely days walking this turned out to be. I set off early in the morning, straight from the flat. Weymouth as waking up slowly and there weren’t many people around as I walked along the sea wall to Overcombe apart from street cleaners and even beach cleaners,

To reach Bowleaze Cove I walked along the beach which was only just about possible since the tide was only slowly going out.  A holiday camp with its own Alsatian guard dog blocked the path at the cove so I was forced to make a slight detour inland. It was then a gentle walk to Osmington Mills where the path went down past the campsite and out the other side of the village. I walked through the grounds of what looked to be a decent pub.  Even though it was very early in the day a man was stopping people parking in the pub car park except if they had purchasing power.  

At Ringstead Bay I took to the beach wanting a change and thinking that I’d be able to get back up onto the cliffs at the far end. I found what I thought was a suitable path up past a beach hut around which a group of youngsters were gathered. It turned out to be theirs and there was no path but they were polite. The correct path turned out to be just around the corner.                                           

From there to Lulworth Cove was strenuous but spectacular, long steep climbs with great views of chalk cliffs. The path in the early part of the day had been poorly signed and deserted but on the way into Lulworth the bank holiday crowds appeared in sunshine with the last part was more like a high street than a country path. I went down the bay to find out about tomorrow's walk and then back up to the car park to meet the family.  The car park was an outrageous £3.  We fed the kids which took about an hour and then took them down to the beach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment