Wednesday 13 June 2012


Day: 15    24/5/86    Llanfair PG to Pontlyfni 

Distance: 34 km (21 miles)    Total Distance:    212 miles



I drove up from Coventry and camped in Bangor overnight at the same campsite just off the A5 I'd used earlier in the month. Little did I realise at the time that my house was being burgled overnight. My hi-fi, including a nice old Leak valve amplifier, and my record collection were stolen. I recon I got my own back though as among the LPs was a couple of Leonard Cohen albums.  There must be one depressed burglar in the Coventry area now.

My old Leak amp - I saved up my pocket money to buy that.

I parked near the post office in Llanfair PG and walked along the road and over Britannia Bridge. This was one of the first legal transgressions of the walk.  You are not meant to walk over it but it was safe enough and I was not caught!

Britania Bridge (Wiki)


I had to keep to the main road all the way to Caernarvon but as it was my first days walking of the week my moral was high and it was a fine morning.  I did some exploring of Feninheli (Portdinorwic).  Its a little port and was crammed with expensive yachts with people preparing them for upcoming outings.  I had a break near the Alcan works just outside Caernarvon.


It was quite busy in the town.  I got some provisions and eventually found a good outdoor pursuits shop. I bought a hat as I had forgotten to bring one and a map case.  The Caernarvon Castle looked good in the sunshine.


Caernarvon Castle



Past the town there was a road/track following the sea for a while.  I then had to go on a path and follow the River Gwyrfai, a rather pleasant river, for about one mile, and back along the other side.  I then started a race against time – I could see the weather was closing in and I wanted to get around the peninsular today.  I made it past the tip before the rain began but the wind around most of the way was strong.  The building at the tip was peculiar. Fort Belan had with cannons pointing out to the strait.  I don’t think I should have been looking around the grounds but there were no clear signs saying not to. The fort was built in 1775 as a defence against attack from the Americans.  It would have been a long way for them to come and I don’t think this one fort would have been much of a deterrent.   

Fort Belan cannons


The walk back south to Dinas Dinlle was tough along soft sand, but was rewarded in the end by finding a great café and gift shop which I stayed in till the rain had eased off and enjoyed sandwiches, cake and tea.



Feeling much relieved I decided to carry on till Pontllyfni where it was only a short walk back up to the main road.  Fortunately I didn’t have to cut in to avoid the River Llifion but could cross it on the beach.



 By the time I finished it was raining and I got a lift from a young woman and her mother. It was only the second time I remember hitching and getting lift off a woman.  This lift was to Caernarvon.  My second lift was off some old farmers, very Welsh who kindly took me out of their way and over the bridge to Llanfair PG - very kind of them.  I camped in Bangor for the last time on this journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment