Saturday 16 June 2012


Day: 16    25/5/86   Pontllyfni to Nefyn 




Distance:  21 km (13 miles)    Total Distance:    225 miles



After packing up camp and waving goodbye to the campsite I’d used a fair amound recently, I drove south. I returned to the good cafe in Dinas Dinlle I’d found yesterday and enjoyed a good breakfast. I parked in the hamlet of Pontllyfni to start the days walking. The walk along the seafront until the pier at Trefor was quiet,  mainly along the shingle and sand.



I thought I was doing rather well but just before the beach at Trefor I stood in a massive mud puddle. A group of people who had been following my progress since I started that morning stopped and chatted to me from which from which I gained encouragement.  There seemed to be nowhere open in Trefor for refreshments.  A crane on the pier was busy demolishing a building on it. 



Trefor Pier

The terrain changed in the afternoon. It was a long uphill walk up through a quarry on Yr Eifl with steep climbs and good views back upalong the coast towards Caernarfon. The mist had come down by the time I reached the top and I had to use a compass to guide me across the plateau. 

The ascent of Yr Eifl


I kept to the road after that because access to the coast via the farms seemed impossible.  I eventually got down to the beach at Nefyn.  Now I was out of the mist the sun was up again.



It was good to see an open café on the beach.  I walked up through Nefyn and got a lift in a new Montego.  I returned to Nefyn to camp in a deserted camp site in Pistyll, for just £1 a night.  That night I went to an Italian restaurant and had a jolly good pizza. There were no alcoholic drinks available though as its still ‘dry’ on the Llyn peninsular on a Sunday.


End of the days walk at Nefyn

No comments:

Post a Comment