Tuesday 6 October 2015

Day: 164 1/9/96 Margate to Faversham

Weather:  fine, hot, still
Distance: 40.0 km ( 24.9 miles)    Total Distance:   2084.6 miles

A mammoth days walk for me though I did not intend it to be.  I planned to catch the train back to Margate so I tried to park as close as possible to the station.  The fee for the station car park was a lot even on a Sunday but fortunately a side street near by provided me with what I wanted - a free place. 

I do like seaside town early in the morning and my impression of Margate was so much better early on a Sunday morning when it is waking up, than on a busy Saturday afternoon.  The beaches were being cleared of all the seaweed washed up yesterday by the high tide.  That looked a big job.  Many of those out on the promenades were jogging or riding bikes.  There was concrete promenade virtually all the way to Birclington and then good paths on the whole to Herne Bay.  The cliffs started to disappear at about Plumbpudding Island - and even if they did not its an excellent name for a place to put in a diary,

I needed my break at Herne Bay and resolved to stop at the first cafe.  Surprisingly I had to go quite a way along the prom to get to it and it turned out to be a council affair in a sort of theatre.  Whitstable was more pleasant if a lot harder to walk around.  There was no promenade as such and I had to cut into the town at one stage.  Some very pleasant old houses had their gardens face onto the beach. 

It was either stop here or press onto Faversham and as it was early and a nice day I pressed on not really judging very well how far it was.  The beach got harder to walk along and at Seasalter I left it for a while and headed over the railway line to get to a shop to stock up before I left civilisation all together. I enjoyed my Solero Ice lolly while the proprietor inside watched the Eastenders compilation on high volume. 

I rejoined the coastal road and was surprised how many cars were on it - without a pavement it was not a particularly pleasant stretch.  When the road turned inland at Graveny Marshes I spent the rest of the day on sea defence walls.  This stretch was surprisingly popular. I had expected it to be quiet by there were groups of people out walking dogs, fishing even shooting.  Beyond Nagden Marshes I turned inland up the river bank towards Faversham. What a long trek this was made worse by swarms of small flies especially around hawthorn bushes.  I was exhausted for this last three miles and hobbled into Faversham through the town which looked very impressive and was clearing up after a market day and to the station where I got a train back to Margate. 

I spent the night at Canterbury YHA.  It was quieter than last time I stayed here - no Gibraltan schoolchildren this time.  I met another Japanese lad - abroad for the first time and determined to attend as many pop concerts as possible, a German girl studying the Science of music and Martin,a gardener from Peterlee Bible College who subsequently sent mew a book of his poems. 


I ate in a tandoori restaurant and had a very palatable chicken Tika Marsala, phoned home picked up some milk and had an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment