Thursday 5 November 2015

Day: 167 2/12/96 Leysdown-on-Sea to Swale

Weather:  fine, warm, still

Distance: 24.0 km ( 14.9 miles)    Total Distance:   2099.5 miles



I had gone to bed on the early side so I could get an early start.  I heard noises outside and peeped out to find a group of youths smashing the lock on the Calibra over the road. They saw me looking and could not stand the sight of me in my pajamas so took off. I dressed went out to check and informed the poor couple opposite about the damage to their lock.  Getting to sleep after that was not too easy. 

Gareth still wakes at the slightest sound so I had decided not to get up till he was awake, but today of all days he decided to have a lie in.  I eventually got away at just gone 7 and after quite a long time scrapping the frost off the car headed south.  It was to be a cold and clear day. 

I got to Leysdown and was walking by 10 o’clock.  I has feared that I would be spending the day on minor roads but soon discovered that I could get down to the beach and as the tide was out and could keep to it all the way to Sheerness.  Low clay cliffs were crumbling all the way meaning that much of the morning was spent walking on clay or clay covered rocks - a bit slippery at times - it looked like someone had poured chocolate sauce all over them.  I met the usual array of strange individuals miles from anywhere either digging for worms or looking for unspecified items. 

Once I got to Minster I started to look for somewhere for lunch.  What was marked as a hotel on the map turned out to be a uninviting pub.  Back on the foreshore I kept walking till I got to a chip shop/cafe - cafe being a bit of an exaggeration because it had one table and no offer of a knife and fork together with hard chips. The shop was part of a hotel type building and there seemed to be plans going on in the background to prepare for a wedding reception or something. The mind boggles as to what meal would be served there.

For a couple of hundred yards entering Sheerness things looked up. A nice promenade and a park but soon I was led on a pointless walk down to the harbour only having to double back and go inland via the roads and rough areas of the town.  I should know better.  Never trust a town with a dock - the foreshore always runs out without warning.

Heading south now out of Sheerness, initially along the main road and then along a concrete slabbed path fenced in on both sides one side by concrete walls and the other by wire protecting huge car storage areas.  It made me think how old is a new car when you buy it?  I ended up on the foreshore in Queenborough and again for a couple of hundred yards it was quite nice - sort of oldy worldly.  Cutting into the village itself I called in on a B&B to book a room for the night - what a mistake that was!

Through an industrial estate led me to the housing estate of Rushenden and then into their industrial estate which I took a bit of escaping from to find the path to Kingsferry Bridge.  I worried about this path because it looked from the map to go across a river without a bridge.  When I got to the crossing point it was a mud embankment which must have had pipework going under it somehow to let the waster through.  Up onto the road and over the bridge and that was the end of the Isle of Sheppy and my days walking. 

Now, how to get back to the car? I looked at the train timetable and found I still had a fair wait for a train so tried hitching.  I got a lift from a London couple who drove an old Rover and had moved down to the Island a number of years ago.  I opted to be dropped at the roundabout a mile or so on but it turned out this was a bad decision - hitching was bad and it was getting dark.  I walked into Queensbourough and ended up getting a bus all the way to Leysdown which took about an hour via Sheerness and even the prison at Leysdown.  I stayed on the bus a while once in Leysdown expecting it would go to the place where I caught a bus on my last visit but the driver came up the stairs and informed me he did not go up to the other end of the village these days because of “trouble”.

I drove back to Queensborough, it taking most of the journey for me to warm up.  I got to the B&B as the children and grandchildren were leaving,  The Proprietress showed me to the room and apologized for it being small - an understatement. I had to breath in to close the door. I did not grumble though because it was the only room with any heating on and I thought at least there was a chance of it getting warm at some stage. 

The local pub looked promising for food.  They even ran a minibus service to bus people in and home.  Oh, how I was disappointed with the chicken curry - one of those out of a curry sauce packet you still occasionally get served.  The next pub, down towards the harbour was a lot more promising and after a couple the locals were chatting to be and enjoying the Saturday evening.  I however wanted to be up early so headed back by 9.30 for an early night in the fridge.  The one good thing was that the minuscule radiator in the room did stay on all night so I did stay reasonably warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment