Thursday 5 November 2015

Day: 168 2/12/96 Swale to Rochester

The B&B was deadly quiet in the morning and so apathetic did the lady look the one time I met her the previous evening and disgruntled that I wanted breakfast at 8.o’clock, I thought she had not bothered to get up.  I thought about leaving just £10 and just going and made one check of the back room to find she was there and frying.  The breakfast turned out to be OK though was eaten in stony silence.  Hospitable is not something I would have called this place. 

I parked on rough ground at Swale down an embankment from the road and set off across the marshes on the embankments.  It was a lovely morning and there was a lot of birdlife around.  The only difficult part of the path went past a farm near Chetney Hill where the cows had all but obliterated the path.  

At Rasberry Hill I joined the road all the way to Lower Halstow past orchards.  I came on a rough looking group of men, boys and dogs near a beat up transit van  who were busy attacking earth mounds. They made it clear by speaking in loud voices to each other that they were after rabbits for food, however this may have been to stop me thinking they were after badgers.  Do badgers live on roadsides - I think not, it probably was rabbits after all.

At Lowe Halstow, a path cuts through in front of the old church and heads off down the estuary.  There were noises from a number of boats moored up on the mud banks - people using them for housing.  At Ham Green I cut inland past a garden centre onto a minor road for a circuit of this little peninsular.  It was then time to walk through some orchards.  I stopped near the village of Upchurch to have a can and a bar of chocolate before getting to Otterhan Quay . The path went down towards an industrial estate and then onto another peninsular though this path was not on the map it was very evident on the ground.  Access to the tip of the peninsular itself was blocked by a sewage treatment plant - thanks Southern Water!

At Bloors Wharf a group of twichers were looking very agitated - a rare sighting was imminent.  The following two or three miles was along a reasonable path proving popular with dog walkers and people out for the day.  I went as far as I could but eventually had to cut inland onto the main road and head into Chatham.  A large part of this was seemingly barracks and military dockyards with no access from the direction I was walking.  I think I missed out on seeing the best part of the dockyard because it was a no through road.  I passed the military museum and south towards Rochester on the busy main road.  I stopped for the day at Rochester train station and caught I think three trains back to Swale with quite a wait at Sittingbourne.  Swale was a request stop I am glad I found out in advance and made sure the driver knew I wanted to stop there!  I collected the car and drove back to Coventry.



No comments:

Post a Comment