Sunday 27 December 2015

Day: 170 9/3/97 Allhallows to Gravesend

Weather:  Mild and Foggy

Distance:  25km (15.5miles)    Total Distance:  2184 miles

I started today’s walk with mixed feelings.  I was still in a satisfied mood after completing yesterdays stretch but slightly apprehensive about today’s.  After so many walks close to civilization I realised that the first half of today’s walk would be very isolated.  What great weather for walking this stretch of Dickensian shore line though – still and foggy.  All the way along I kept thinking about Great Expectations – Magwich the convict and Pip. 

I parked the car in the village of Allhallows and walked through the caravan site.  I was up very early and was walking by 7.30am. For mile after mile I would be walking along the sea defenses. I saw absolutely nobody until I started to head south.  I wondered what would have happened to me if I had hurt myself.  At one point I saw a collection of farm buildings through the mist all with their roofs missing adding to the eeriness. 

I had few stops and only started having breaks proper once I reached the Cliff Fort area.  I crossed a couple of gents who said they had just started walking the Saxon Way that day and were armed with guidebook.  I had no idea how far they were heading and would have been shocked if they had attempted the deserted coastal defenses I had just conquered.  On the bus back to Allhallows, I saw them at High Halstow, I think they must have opted for an inland route.


Between Cliffe Fort and Halstow I started to pass more people.  The path was fairly well marked but actually got worse the closer to Gravsend I got.  Industry started to appear and many piers.  I went through a very derelict warehousing type area – just the sort of place the film industry would love.  For the last two miles I was having real trouble with my knee and could hardly walk.  I hobbled up into the town and was disappointed to find the station was at the opposite side. When I got there I ended up catching a bus back to Rochester and from there another one back to Allhallows.  A lady at the stop in Rochester said they were thinking of stopping this bus. What a shame – it saved me no end of grief that day!    

No comments:

Post a Comment