Sunday 27 December 2015

Day: 174 31/5/97 Rainham to Stanford-le-hope

Weather:  Windy, sunny and warm.


Distance:  32km (19.9miles)    Total Distance:   2236miles

I had originally planned to go walking for two days but I changed my mind part way through the day.  It was not a thrilling days walk so I decided to walk hard for the day and come back to Coventry that evening.

I parked the car in the supermarket car park in Rainham.  I had originally parked in a council car park marked for walkers of a footpath, but then I saw notices saying that parking was limited to four hours there so I moved it to the supermarket car park itself. Obviously the council thought that alking more than four hours may damage your health. 

I walked through the town but decided not to take the path down to the Thames because it looked very uncertain if there was a path all the way along the embankments to Purfleet, so instead I took the B-road to Wennington.  I was amazed by the fact that there was farmland dotted around this close to London.  A large house at the end of the village, almost on the very busy A13, had a pond and a heron feeding in it. 

There then followed a pretty horrible mile and a half along the A13 itself, some of it without a footpath.  I suppose I should be thankful it was a Saturday and not a weekday.  I was very relieved  to turn off the A13 and get on the road down to Purfleet.  I was wearing my worn out trainers and had put new insoles in them, but was having trouble with one foot so had to take it out.  Would this mead bad blisters by the end of the day I wondered.

I was also disappointed to see on the way into Purfleet a sign to a footpath along the riverbank back towards Rainham.  I probably could have walked it after all but it was not an official footpath.  I had a glimpse of Purfleet before finding the footpath that took me into industry and down towards the Thames for the first time that day.  Going through a oil depot type place I came to a paper recycling type mill but it looked like the way onto the Thames embankment had been fenced off. I had to backtrack a bit and discovered that the fence had been torn down and I got to the river OK. 

I then had a good couple of miles along industrialised Thames, ducking under the occasional jetty and pipeline.  I was stopping at quite regular times to have a drink.  I was relieved to get to Grays that looked to have a lot of riverside development going on.  I cut up into the old town, bought a drink and a packet of biscuits for lunch and headed out along the side streets towards Tilbury, cutting inland to avoid the docks.  The builders of the new road were kind enough to put a cycle and footpath along it.  Lorries were still aplenty even on a Saturday heading for the freight terminal. I had to laugh because when I rang up to inquire about trains, Tilbury was one of the places I asked about – I was told that there were only buses from Tilbury Docks that day free of charge.  I could see why – they were ripping up the lines!

I had been looking forward to a drink in the pub marked on the map but when I got there it had been burnt down. I was putting sun block on by this stage – it was getting hot.  Past the large power station things got a little greener.

Past Coalhouse Fort I asked a man with a dog how far I could get and he confirmed I would have to cut back into East Tilbury.  This I did and then phoned Margaret to get her to cancel my Youth Hostel booking.  I had a pint in the pub there and carried on along the roads to Stanford-le-Hope, getting back onto footpaths for the last half mile.  I stopped there and walked up into the town to the station to catch a train back to Rainham.  

As I was paying I must have left my map there – it took me some days to realise what I had done and phone them up – or should I say the operating company – you are not allowed to phone the actual station these days! 


No comments:

Post a Comment