Sunday 3 September 2017

Day: 263 24/4/03 Arnside to Carnforth

Weather:  Fine then wet.

Distance:  13 km (8.1 miles)    Total Distance:   3386 miles

I travelled north with the family on a business trip come holiday.  After a business meeting at Lancaster, Margaret and the boys collected me from the factory and we traveled up to Arnside.  We found the Youth Hostel and then went in to explore it. 

Margaret then dropped me off at Arnside and I walked back through the village, along the front and then along the promenade on which people were fishing.  The path soon became the beach all the way around the headland and very few people were around.  I kept pretty close to the shore fearing that if I took any short cut over the marshes the tracks would disappear and I would have to backtrack etc.  

I did have to backtrack about 500 meters at Silverdale when I missed the fact that a river came out parallel to the shore.  As I came up onto the road a fire had been started in the woods by youths and was showing signs of spreading but I don’t think it did in the end.  I gave dirty looks to all the youths that passed before realising that most were probably completely innocent!

I got a little lost in Siverdale village trying to find the road out as there was a section along the coast that did not have a path along it.  When the road and track ran out the footpath went right over the marshes.

It started to drizzle at this stage and stayed so for the rest of the walk but didn’t spoil it too much.  I had already realised that I had been much too ambitious in thinking that I may be able to reach Morcambe so set my sights instead on Carnforth. 

The road was a little busy with cars coming home from work and I had to keep my wits about me as there was no pavement on this section.  Approaching Warton the path left the road and took me past some railway sidings and a minor road into Carnforth. 

I caught a train back to Arnside and walked up to the Youth Hostel and Margaret kindly made me sausages.  I was watched by three young American students who we don’t think knew how to cook anything!  We sat in the lounge in the evening whilst the boys played pool in the basement.  A pleasant evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment