Sunday 3 September 2017

Day: 266 26/6/03 Lytham to Preston

Weather:  Warm and sunny.

Distance:  20 km (12.4 miles)    Total Distance:   3469 miles

I had a meeting in Lancaster that finished before lunch so after a bite to eat of chilli, rice and chips was able to get away.  A colleague had made us all laugh at dinner by asking the person clearing the plates for olive oil and white wine vinegar – which is only funny when you realise that the canteen is more along the lines of a transport café and has about a dozen customers each day.

It was about 45 minutes to Lytham and I parked in a park car park along the front which was about two-minutes walk from my start point but free!  The first bit was along the prom and then along a river bank in front of the new Land Registry building – but not an official path I don’t think as it ran out and I scrambled though an industrial estate and onto a road.  It was then down along another riverbank and then through a marina and onto the main road to cross a river and onto the marshes again. 

I was getting buzzed by fighter planes which I was later to learn was the new Euro-fighter plane – which explains why it had no markings.  Lets just say it was not being designed with peace in mind!  The paths were in a reasonable state.  

When I was rounding the airfield I was overtaken by a jogger.  He looked funny in that he was dressed in normal clothes.  His shirt was hanging out and was all frayed along the bottom appearing to indicate that he did this a lot. A bit further on he had stopped and he engaged me in conversation – a little weird but harmless enough I’d say.  He had run three miles along this path every day for the past 30 years.  He told me about the planes and how he lived at the end of the runway – that sort of explained a lot! 

Further on at Naze Mount I had to go up the river about two miles to the main road.  As I rounded the point I lost the path and ended up in marshy ground.  I kept falling into muddy gullies.  At one point I heard what sounded like a loose and very large angry dog nor far away in the trees.  Just then the Euro-fighter started another series of manoeuvres deafening and I must admit frightening me as I now didn’t know how far away the dog was!

I rejoined the path and to calm down I took the jogger’s advice and stopped in the Ship for a very peaceful pint of 6X and drank it in the garden overlooking the estuary.  

The next part was though the back streets of the village and then onto the main road.  There was little option but to follow the main road towards Preston as it was the closest right of way to the sea.  There was a pavement of sorts for about the next three miles and being slightly numbed by the beer it was not a bad walk – better than it looked on the map.  

I turned off towards the sea by going though a farm, marked as a path but not a public right of way.  I past a pond with tiny ducklings and then up an embankment and a nice track.  I was all relaxed until I saw a sign saying it was a 4x4 track and from then on expected to get mown down by a truck at any moment.  I then frightened a lady dog walking by calling down a bank to her and asking if that was a path to Preston and then scrambling down it to join it – she must have thought her time was up!  

The path took me all the way into Preston along the river bank alongside a dockland development.  I couldn’t access the first bridge over the Ribble from the footpath as it was fenced off so walked down to the second and finished my walk there.

I strolled up to the railway station and got a train back to Lytham and then drove back to Coventry for supper at about 10.15. 




No comments:

Post a Comment