Friday 12 April 2013

Day 101 5/8/93 Charlestown to Fowey

Weather: Fine
Distance:  15 km (9.3 miles)    Total Distance:   1304 miles

Today was a much better day weather wise than yesterday.  It was a pleasant walk out of the harbour town of Charlestown but it soon deteriorated.  

Gull Island between Charlestown and Carlyon Bay
(Photo: Derek Harper, Geograph)
Carlyon Bay was not at all idyllic but instead spoilt by a hotel, amusement park and pleasure park slap bang in the middle.   I walked through a golf course and then had to wend my way through the china clay works where the coast path was well fenced off from the works and the main road.  I wandered into the busy and not very attractive town of Par hoping to get down to the beach but was prevented from doing so by a caravan park through which I could not find a right of way.  I backtracked onto the road, got to the end of the road at Polmear, and eventually managed to get back onto the cliffs again.



After a short walk on the cliffs, I stopped for a drink at the Rashleigh Inn in Polkerris, and sat outside in the sun looking back on a disappointing mornings walk.  The Rashleigh Inn had a dominant position on the beach with a walled beer garden.

It seemed a long stretch but pleasant walk to Gribbin Head where the path became poorly defined for a stretch.  It was then along the cliffs and then inland to Polridmouth, quite crowded with visitors, where there is a freshwater lake behind a low dam.  I hadn’t expected it to be so crowded since there was no obvious car park nearby.  There were some more nice cliffs all the way around to a crowded beach at Readeymoney.  I climbed the steep path out of out of Polridmouth.  I thought I was making good headway, only to reach the top and realise I had been caught up by a female rambler.  I was obviously not going as fast as I thought.

I had arranged to meet Margaret at the Tourist Information Centre in Fowey which was a bit confusing because it appeared to have moved!  It was quite a climb out of the village to the car park where she had parked the car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment