Sunday 19 October 2014

Day: 106 11/10/93 Seaton to Freathy


 Weather: OK then very wet      Distance:  12.5 km (7.8 miles)   
 
I knew that the weather forecast for later in the day was poor so I opted for a relatively short walk.  I drove to Freathy and dropped my bike of there. It took me a while however to find somewhere suitable to leave it, out of sight from the main road, ot outside anyone's house, somewhere where there was something to chain it to and not too out of the way to make it look as if it had been abandoned somewhere. 
 
I drove back to Seaton, which looked very depressing at this time of year, a desolate beach with one lone shop.  I walked along the sea wall and beach to Downderry, past the sea storm defences that had recently been constructed and that Trevor, the owner of the B&B I had stayed in, had mentioned.
 
At Downderry I cut up off the beach, into the village and then at the end of the village up a steep path onto the cliff tops.  The steep footpath bought me up onto the main road.  The guidebook rightly notes that it is a shame that this mile long section along the road exists because there is no reason other than the meanness of land owners why the path does not follow the coast.

Off the main road I took what could best be described as a seldom used steep road down into the coastal town of Porthwinkle - the steepness would have done Mumbles or Swansea proud.  I thought about a pub lunch when I saw an inviting sign but on closer inspection it turned out to be more of a hotel - the sort that may not welcome walkers.  Added to that the weather had started to look threatening so I pressed on.

There was a section of cliff top footpath before the main road appeared again where the path followed but on the inside of a field.  The path at this point followed the road inland because on the coastal side was Tregantle Fort, an MOD property and firing range.  I bought an ice-cream from a van where it looked as if I had been the only customer all day.

Once the road swung back to the coast again, the straggling village of Freathy appeared, full of holiday chalets but of an old fashioned design.  It started to rain not long before I reached where I had left the bike.  The bike ride back to Seaton took me near enough an hour during which time the rain got worse and worse and I ended up getting soaked to the skin.  The breaks on the bike were poor in the wet weather and I had to apply them with full force on the steep hills.  Once back at the car I got the bike away as fast as possible, drove back to Rowan Lodge and jumped out of my soaking wet clothes and into the shower.
 
I had an afternoon tea and that night on the recommendation of Trevor and Ann went to a pub at Dunloe.  The meal was good and I got chatting to another man on his own who came in for a meal.  He was an American insurance business man over on computer business in London.  He would programme the computer and then explore the country before returning to London to see if the program had worked.  I admired him a lot for having the initiative to travel so much and find quiet places such as this pub.
Cornwall - One of the wooden clocks I used to make in shapes of countires our countries. 


Before going back to Rowan Lodge I popped over the road to the Old Punch Bowl Inn for a drink as it was in the Good Beer Guide.  Whilst having a pint I started to feel cold though I thought it was because the pub was cold.  I spotted the lad who had given me a lift the previous day.  Before going to bed I had a hot chocolate but by the time I was in bed I was freezing.  The more clothes I put on the more cold I got!  Eventually I was wearing more clothes than when I go walking.  I took a couple of paracetamol and started to warm up. When I woke up I was feeling off colour.  There was no thought of any more walking or even eating breakfast so I settled up with Trevor, paying part of my bill with a Cornish clock I had made, and started off for Coventry.  When we returned to Rowan Lodge next year the clock was up on the wall. 
 
I gave a hitch-hiker a life from near Exeter to the turn off for Taunton.  He was a fit lad going to collect a top of the range mountain bike and ride it home again.

When I got home I had to have two days off work getting over the flu bug I had picked up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment