Wednesday 7 January 2015

Day: 132 19/4/95 West Bay to Abbotsbury


Weather: Sunny and cool.    Distance: 11 km, (6.8 miles)    Total Distance:  miles


I had my English breakfast cooked by the American, gained permission to leave my car in their driveway and pick it up on my way home, and walked down to West Port, now much quieter in the cool of the early morning. Even though the tide was on its way in and only an hour from high tide, I decided I could walk along the beach for a time instead of climbing the cliff. At Burton cliff the tide was  too far in to chance the beach so I made my only climb of the day. The cliff then disappeared and Chesil beach started. I had not realised it but from there to West Bexington was hard going along the pebbles.  A case of two steps forward and one back.

A cafe at West Bexington was a welcome sight. More than a cafe, this was a village shop without a village! The sun shone and I sat outside drinking a wonderful mug of tea made by a very elderly man. From there to Abbotsbury was easier along a track on the landward side of the beach.

At Abbotsbury I read on a sign about Chesil beach that the public were only welcome to walk the beach up until May 1st after which it was closed to protect breeding birds. So much for the TIC at Weymouth who told me I could walk it anytime. This meant that I had to return in 10 days time to walk Chesil beach.

I walked up to the main road, past the sub-tropical gardens, and to the outskirts of Abbotsbury. The bus was still over an hour away so I hitched, getting a lift of a van driver delivering chilled foods in the area.  The disturbing thing was that he resembled Fredrick West the mass murderer from Gloucester! I kept envisaging that I would disappear and end up in a pack of frozen sausages.

Two days of glorious walking weather made a real surprise since it had been a poor forecast originally.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment