Friday 1 January 2016

Day: 175 31/5/97 Stanford-le-hope to Canvey Island

Weather:  Windy, sunny and warm.

Distance:  28 km (17.4 miles)    Total Distance:   2254 miles

My uncle took me Stanford and dropped me off at the ponds used by angling clubs.  A couple of miles on reasonable paths through fields was a nice start to the day.  I then had a less than enjoyable stretch along the road to the oil refinery being passed by numerous petrol tankers going to fill up and deliver their loads. 

I headed north onto farm tracks.  I stopped to chat to a man living at Oozedam farm.  He confirmed my worst fears that there was no way across the river at the flood barrier. It was well protected by barbed wire etc. This meant a very long detour up to Basildon.  

The good point was that just beyond the barrier, on Fobling Marshes there was not a sole or dwelling in sight which meant that I could continue up the sea defenses even though there was no footpath marked on the map. If this had not been so it would have been an even longer detour.  The worst part of the path was up near Marsh Farm where the path of the ground was virtually non-existent and very overgrown.  Another mile I was in Pitsea where I had the weird experience of going into the superstore to have a drink and a snack in the restaurant after being so isolated for much of the day.


The next couple more miles meant following a track alongside a railway. Sometimes I even needed to go on the railway property to get out of the brambles and other undergrowth.  There was then a mile or so on the main road before managing to scramble down the bank onto the sea defenses again. 

The next part down East Haven Creek was less than interesting.  When I reached to pub in Canvey village I had a cool pint of shandy and even tried to phone my uncle who had offered to come and get me but there was nobody there.  I therefore decided to hobble onto Canvey Island past holiday chalets etc.  I was fortunate at Canvey to find a bus stop relatively easily where I got a bus to Thundesley and then another onto Rayleigh where I was staying with my relatives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment