Monday 15 April 2013

Day: 102 6/8/93 Fowey to Lostwithiel

Weather: Fine
Distance:  10.5 km (6.5 miles)    Total Distance:  1311 miles

I had a delayed start to the walk since I could not resist calling into the nice cafe "Crumbs" with the family for one of their great cakes.  I sat amazed at a family on the next table with five children. It’s hard enough managing one.  I’m beginning to change my mind about wanting a large family!



There was no path up the estuary from Fowey so I had to walk inland onto the main road.  The main road passed over a private road owned by English China Clay along which the lorries took clay to the port and railway depot.  I cut off the road to the right, along a track and then down to the coast through some very quiet woods and then along a well walked path into Golant.  I popped into a pub overlooking the estuary of half a pint of Ushers. The pub was pretty quiet too.  In fact the whole village looked very sleepy and rather idyllic.
 
River Fowey at Golant
(Photo: Chris Downer, Geograph)
From Golant I followed the steep back-streets of the village past the church. I caught up with a man and two children who were walking with the aid of a guidebook which was not much help since the footpath had been ploughed up and turned into a pea field which made it difficult walking.  I warned a group of walkers heading in the opposite direction of trouble to come.

Much of the rest of the walk was along minor tracks and roads.  At Milltown the path went under a huge railway viaduct, down into some fields with less well defined paths and then into Lostwithiel.  I met Margaret and Sean at our prearranged meeting point, the railway station.  The town did not look all that inviting - quite a bit of grey stone around.

No comments:

Post a Comment