Friday 5 April 2013

Day: 96 4/6/93 Ruan Lanihorne to St Mawes

Weather: Fine
Distance: 15.5 km (9.6 miles)    Total Distance:  1259 miles

We travelled from Falmouth over the estruary to Ruan Lanihorne using the via the King Harry ferry, which sailed past the abandoned ships in the estuary presumably waiting to be scraped.  My wife then dropped me off at Ruan Lanihorne before going on to St Mawes with my son.

 


This was probably the least interesting walk of the week.  Up until Philleigh I managed to keep to footpaths and farm tracks.  The views were poor but by lunchtime the sun had started to put in an appearance and people were starting to sunbathe in their gardens.  I had a pint in the Roseland Inn, another good hidden-away pub.  The young couple who were running it were proud of their French chef who had trained and worked in London until he had given it all up to come and live in Cornwall.

There then followed a long section of walking on roads.  I passed someone in a lay-by listening to England lose another test match to Australia.  I tried to keep to close to the coast by walking down to Messack Farm but found that the footpath from the farm to St Just was shared by cows and was just a mud track - that was when I could find it at all.


St Just In Roseland
 It was back to civilisation in St Just In Roseland. There were many visitors out visiting the church.  From there to St MawesI was pleased to see a footpath reappear.  It was good to get back to the coast again - or should I say the Fal estuary.

Just before entering St Mawes I passed St Mawes Castle.  This is one of Henry VIII's coastal fortresses and was built to counter invasion threats from France and Spain.

St Mawes Castle

Arriving in St Mawes was the end of an enjoyable weeks walking.  I feel it is a real shame that those coast path walkers who catch the ferry from Falmouth to St Mawes miss out on a real treat of walking up and down the Fal estuary.

I met up with the family after a while.  There did not appear to be a good tea shop in St Mawes so we opted for catching the King Harry ferry back and calling in at Trelissick again to make use of their tea gardens.
King Harry Ferry (Photo: Geograph)

No comments:

Post a Comment