Monday 22 April 2013

Day: 104 9/10/93 Penpoll to Polperro

Weather: Fine
Distance:  20 km (12.4 miles)    Total Distance: 1331 miles

I drove down to Cornwall last night and had a terrible journey.  The M5 southbound was blocked so I had to make a detour via Worcester. I did not arrive at the B&B at Llanreath until 11pm but had a warm welcome from the B&B proprietors Trevor and Ann Farbrother.

I drove to the hamlet of Penpoll, and parked the car.  For the first of the walk I was unable to follow the creek but instead was forced to walk over the fields then down lanes to Mixtow.  I then found it hard to find a footpath to Bodinnick and it was very muddy due to cattle.  Things improved after that and I followed a lovely walk through NT land on a wooded path up Pont Pill to Pont and back down the other side.



At Polruan I went into a pub near the harbour and had a drink and a sandwich.  Some very fisherman folk were in there having a drink They were easy to identify with their weathered skin, yellow wellies and aran sweaters.  After lunch I rejoined the coast path.  It had taken me two and a half days to round the Fowey estuary but again there were some lovely parts to it, missed by coast path walkers.



I strolled through the back streets of Polruan and up onto the cliffs.  It was a scenic walk all the way to Polperro along the cliffs and not much sign of anyone else.  There were a number of steep climbs and descents including at Lantis Bay.  The weather was good and it was great to be on the cliff tops again.  By the time I reached Polperro I was tired and thirsty.

I bought a Pepsi and caught a small open backed bus to the top of the hill.  I spilt part of the can on the bus and felt guilty for not informing the driver but I was really whacked by then.  I then tried to hitch back to Penpoll but had trouble.  I only got one lift from Pelynt to Llanreath and had a fair walk from there to Penpoll.  I was relieved to get back to the car. I saw the guy who gave me a lift the next night in the pub in Llanreath.

I had a very nice evening meal with Trevor and Ann in the B&B, a very family affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment