Sunday 7 April 2013

Day: 98 2/8/93 Bohortha to Portloe

Margaret dropped me off on the road near Bohortha.  They then drove to Porthscatho where my Sean went onto the beach for the first time. Meanwhile I headed across the field down to the coast path and hung a left. 


It was a relatively easy mornings walk, along the cliff top past Poethmellin Head and Greeb Point to Portscatho where I met up with the family relaxing on the beach.  Sean was already developing a dislike of being mucky and was only happy when he was on the blanket rather than the sand.

Approaching Portscatho
(Photo: Philip Halling - Geograph)

After I left them, the walking became somewhat harder with more ups and downs.  The guidebook indicated that I could keep to the coast in front of Pendower Hotel but it was apparent that the owners had had a change of heart and the way was blocked necessitating a cut inland up onto the road.  Dropping back towards the sea I struck lucky in that the tide was was out so was able to walk along Pendower Beach.  At the far end of the beach I caught up with another walker also heading east and we followed each other without conversing much all the way to Portloe.

This stretch was definitely harder than it appeared on the map.  At one stage we both lost the path when we came to a large slipped bank and ended up scrambling to the cliff top.

By the time I reached Portloe I was rather puffed and sat by the harbour recovering and waiting for Margaret and Sean.  Whilst I had been walking, she had discovered a tea shop which was the same one that had been recommended to me on the previous holiday by some walkers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment