Monday 17 November 2014

Day:124 25/9/94 Brixham to Torquay


Weather: cool with heavy shower later.    Distance: 18km (11 miles)    Total Distance: 1537 miles


I was attending a two day conference at Torquay, organised by Zeneca, concerning toxicity based consents for effluents. I thus decided to go down early and get some walking in before the conference started. I left Coventry early on the Sunday morning and drove down to Torquay, parking the car in the Palace Hotel, the venue for the conference, and then immediately hoping on a bus into town.  I then had to wait quite a while for a bus to Brixham, but it was all worth it not to have any travelling to do at the end of the walk.

The streets of Brixham were much more deserted than the last time I had seen them in the summer holidays.  I walked down to the harbour via the multi-storey car park to the place I had stopped walking previously.  I was hungry by now and bought a bag (polystyrene tray) of chips before strolling up the hill out of the town.  The road soon led back down into a car park and infront of the Zeneca Environmental Laboratories - a very picturesque setting for laboratories, and a place I would come for a tour on Tuesday.  There can't be much better views from your office window than from this building. 
 
Zeneca labs in Brixham
The next part of the walk was quite pleasant, through wooded areas, across coves and along paths bordering a golf course.  The pleasant walk lasted until Broardsands where there were a number of people braving the blustery conditions.
 

At Broardsands it was necessary to head inland, under a large railway viaduct before climbing up to the level of the railway itself and following it to Goodrington Sands.  It was from here to Torquay that I was relieved that I was walking this section at this time of year rather than in summer when the crowds would be out in force.  At the end of Goodrington Sands, only being braved by a number of surfers, the path goes right, through a shrubbery, and onto the cliff top before falling again into Paignton.  There was more life here and there appeared to be some sort of race about to finish on the promenade, so fearing that I may get squashed by a torrent of bikes or marathon runners I sped up.  At the north end of the beach, the path went through a little parkland then up onto the main road that leads into Torquay. There are a number of residential streets on Livermead Head itself, but none that lead anywhere so I kept to the main road feeling a bit disappointed about being forced so far inland.


A view towards Paignton from Torquay
 
I was now keeping an eye out for afternoon tea since I had walked non-stop from Brixham.  I walked along the promenade in Torquay, though some gardens and then down onto the harbour front.  It was looking like rain by now so I popped into my chosen cafe (there were quite a few to choose from). I made the wrong choice!  A dismal place it was.  I was the only customer and I had to pay when I got served with my tea.  Added to that, the teenager assistants and owner nattered loudly as if I was not there.  I could not help thinking what a nice place it could have been turned into and what a high rent they were probably having to pay for a shop in such a dominant position. 

There now followed what would have been a tolerably nice section had it not been for the weather. It looked like rain so I did not hang around.  The path went around Torquay front and then almost into the Imperial Hotel before entering a series of gardens.  Once out of the gardens the path led down onto the road and along a beach front and up again.  At the end of the road section it started to pour - absolutely pour.  I got out my waterproofs and initially headed for a phone box only to find out it was a folly in someone's garden.

My new waterproofs were working very well, the first time they had been put to the real test.  There was then a short road section and back into the woods for a short time.  It was then time to leave the woods and take the short walk to the hotel - or so I thought!  I got completely lost and what would have been a short walk was another mile and a half wandering through the suburbs of Torquay - no wonder I keep to coast path walking!  I eventually asked someone and found the hotel, grabbed my clothes from the car and went to register.  I must have made a sorry sight dripping all over their foyer carpet, but they didn't bat an eyelid.  

After reviving, having a bath and watching Rugby Special I headed out find somewhere to eat.  I didn't intend to, but found myself in the centre of Torquay with a number of restaurants to choose from.  I chose a fairly full one on the basis that it must be good as opposed to a deserted one.  I had a fine Mexican meal.  That evening I drove back to the hotel and then went for a walk to have a drink.  The pub I ended up in had a quiz night and I joined a team about half way through and had an enjoyable evening, though I doubt I contributed much to the team score.

No comments:

Post a Comment