Thursday 27 November 2014

Day:125 - 26/9/94 - Torquay to Shaldon


Weather: misty, damp and calm    Distance: 11km     Total Distance: 1544 miles


I was now in conference mode even though the lectures themselves didn't start until after lunch.  I wondered down and joined some of the other delegates at breakfast.  I think I should probably have dressed a bit smarter but I very much wanted to make a quick get away after I'd eaten to get a half day walking fitted in.  I mentioned  to a Norwegian delegate what I was doing and he told me later in the conference that he had taken my advice and been for a cliff walk that morning and enjoyed it. I can't imagine it was anywhere near as picturesque as a fjord.

The weather was very damp but it was not actually raining. Visibility was poor. This was only a relatively short section but it was surprisingly hard going.  I found the path back down to the cliff from the hotel no problem - it was only a short walk after all.  This led out onto open ground before heading down to sea level.  I had a great view of a cormorant busily fishing off a rock just yards away.

At Oddicombe beach, I had to climb steeply, parallel to the cliff railway, to get onto the cliff top again.  The next couple of miles was through woodland, sometimes with steep paths, where it was easy to take the wrong path which I did a couple of times.  The guidebook said Maidencombe was an opportunity for refreshment but there was nothing in sight, so I pressed on.  And again the book lied - it said the rest of this walk was straightforward, which I suppose it was, but it was very up and down.  The last climb before reaching the main road was a killer and I had to stop for breath a couple of times.  Even my trick of going into a low gear did not work this time.

The next part into Shaldon, after going up and down Ness Ho was more pleasant and I was in a good enough mood on reaching Shaldon to appreciate what a nice village it was.  My next mistake was to buy some chocolate and a strawberry flavoured milk. A mistake because when the bus came and drove all over the hills I had just walked over it made me feel sick!

I got back to the hotel in time to have a quick bath, change into a suit and go down to lunch, though I had a very poor appetite - too full of strawberry flavoured milk I guess.  The conference was good and by the afternoon the mist had burnt off and the conference breaks were spent out on the hotel  veranda. The hotel grounds were marvellous with a nine hole golf course mainly being played mainly by people who could hardly walk let alone hit a golf ball very far.

The evening meal was excellent if a little formal.  I travelled back the next day having been for a tour around the Brixham Laboratories.  The laboratories themselves were impressive but they were so pressed for space that their conference room was a portacabin out the back under the cliffs that had to be protected from falling rocks with wire meshing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment