Thursday 27 November 2014

Day:126 25/11/94 Shaldon to Exeter


Weather: relatively warn, overcast, still.   
Distance: 27km, (16.8 miles)    Total Distance: 1561 miles


It was reported as being the mildest November since records began some three hundred years ago. I thought the coast was now in reach of a days outing from Coventry which would be especially useful in the Winter when the roads were clear.  I had been keeping an eye out for a good weather forecast for a couple of weeks and here it was, a mild and windless day.  I got up at 6.00 and was on the road at just after 6.30am.  The journey presented no problems and I was in Shaldon at just after 9.40. I parked the car in a narrow street next to the church and made a short trek into Shaldon to the place I had stopped walking previously.  I then strolled back to the car and then over the bridge and onto a footpath that ran alongside the railway line and the Teignmouth rugby ground.

The next part of the walk, south onto the little peninsular, led to houses, holiday cottages and shacks that opened out directly onto the beach.  Although they pointed west there was still evidence that sandbags were needed in stormy conditions.  Once around the tip of the headland I headed North, along the Teignmouth promenade. There was still some evidence of holiday makers being here here even in November.

At the end of the promenade the path followed the railway line on the seaward side, on a raised platform over the beach. There were signs stating that it was not passible at high tide, echoing the message in my guide book, but it looked OK to me even though it was less than 30 minutes to high tide. Fortunately it was OK.  At the far end, the path went down steps and through a tunnel under the railway line; this was also jjust about passible. I concluded it must have been a low high tide that day helped by a windless day.

There then followed the only climb of the day, initially up a lane onto the main road past a couple of side streets that led nowhere so were not worth following and then out again towards the coast into fields.  The grass was lush and the birds in full song.  I spotted what I think was a wren.

Down through some lanes led to a view overlooking Dawlish, not nearly as nice a Teignmouth and lots of evidence of closed up hotels and amusement arcades.  I pressed on, crossing the railway again to the seaward side and along the front all the way to Dawlish Warren, once again the tide was kind and the route passable.

The first place I came to on the Dawlish Warren nature reserve was an amusement arcade!  I stopped for lunch - a cup of tea and five doughnuts for £1.  The doughnuts were surprisingly nice but large and I only managed four!  I had decided to walk as far down the warren that was easily passible.  There was an RSPB HQ in the middle and close to that the amusing sight of some thirty twitchers looking into a bush.  I later learnt that a rare bird had been spotted.  The Warren got more and more sandy and hard going though I made it quite a long way to the end to where it was apparent I had to retrace my steps because the northern side led just to the golf course and bird hide. Once back in the village I stopped at a shop with virtually bare shelves - running on winter stock I guess.

Next was a long section on roads, initially quiet, then busy through Starcross and then on minor ones again up towards Powerham. Near Starcross, I was walking along the road when I saw some large fish in a stream next to the road.  I was unintentionally chasing them.  Further down the stream, an oil slick appeared but by this time the fish had turned back.  Wise fish. 

The one thing that dominated this walk were the trains on this busy section of track.  The path followed the track for long periods of time.  At Powerham, the path left the road and passed along the estuary front.  I thought this would be deserted but it was crowded with locals out for an autumn walk or cycle.  The Turf Inn at the start of the canal was closed for the Winter.  I made the mistake of crossing the canal and taking the path on the seaward side up towards Exeter. Although this is a footpath on the map it was very poor underfoot and anyone with any sense was using the path on the other side of the canal.  I crossed back over at the fist bridge onto the better side.  It was here that I began to realise that if I hurried I had a chance of catching the bus at 3.10 which stopped at Shaldon rather than the one at 3.40 that stopped on the Teignmouth side of the bridge and then went onto Newton Abbott.  It was a very fast walk and I only just made it - fortunately the bus was a bit late.  When I got on the bus and sat down the window next to me began to steam up.  This effect then began to work its way down the bus.  I have steamed up a car before now but never a whole bus.

I got back to the car at just gone 4.00 pm and then drove back to Coventry in time to see the boys at 7.30 pm before they went to bed. It had been an excellent days walking.  I had walked almost 17 miles and only stopped once.

It had been a very good years walking, my second best in terms of overall distance, helped by the fact that I had made a good few trips down.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment