Monday 21 February 2011

Day 2: 3/7/85 Shotton to Flint


Distance:  8.5 km ( 5.3 miles)      Total Distance:   9 miles

I set off from Hawarden Bridge and soon discovered that it is possible to walk all the way to the wharf in Connah's Quay on the mud flats through fields of grazing cattle.  Connah's Quay is apparently named after the landlord of one of the local pubs - Connah.  That bit makes sense, but why should the quay now be known as a wharf and what's the difference I wonder? 

Hawarden Bridge - the end of day 1 and the start of day 2

I managed to walk on the seaward side of all buildings except one. Then it was over more mud-flats, cutting inland to avoid walking through the RSPB bird sanctuary at Oakenholt where many oyster-catchers and herons were enjoying the sun.


Beside the River Dee - I have a feeling those cooling towers are no longer in operation.

I was hoping to fill me log with tales of people I had met, old seafaring folk and alike, but I haven't seen any yet - perhaps they are all at sea.  Talking of the sea - where is it?  All I have seen so far are mud flats.  

I stopped walking at Flint and caught the bus back to Shotton and camped just east of Prestatyn.  I bet until then you had a vision of me carrying a 50lb backpack.  No, I'm a lazy walker and prefer to just walk with a daypack - the Mars bars themselves are heavy enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment