Wednesday 23 February 2011

Day 3: 4/7/85 Flint to Prestatyn


Distance:  24.9 km ( 15.5 miles)      Total Distance:  24 miles

I parked the car near Flint railway station.  The day started by walking past Flint Castle, Edward I's first castle in Wales and completed in around 1280.  Not long after it was completed it was attacked by the Welsh - perhaps they didn't like the rendering.

I met some local fishermen and sought their advice about how to round the headland. The headland had been occupied by the Courtaulds Castle Mill works, now closed.

Flint Castle - start of Day 3


Courtaulds Castle Mill, Flint, with the castle at the bottom.(Courtaulds archives)

There were three muddy river inlets before reaching Greenfield, where I had to cut quite far inland. The weather was hot and made me thirsty!  I passed the Courtaulds Greenfield site which was about to shut down. I know this because I work for Courtaulds.  I was shocked by the large size of the factory and the fact that it looked quite modern from the outside and wonder why the economics of making viscose are not working out. 

Courtaulds Greenfield - soon to close - which may explain the lack of security fence.

Part of the Courtaulds Greenfield site being demolished in 1984 (Courtaulds archives)



At Mostyn Quay is moored the Duke of Lancaster, a former Sealink ferry.  The new owner plans to have it  converted to a pleasure boat. On shore there was an open-air market where I bought lunch and a Hawaiian shirt for £2 which I discovered was made from viscose - appropriate considering I had just passed the Courtaulds Greenfield site that produces viscose. You see what a bit of hot weather does - it makes you dress tropically.


Duke of Lancaster at Mostyn Quay.

I found I could not get out of Mostyn Quay, owned by the coal board, so I had to go inland over a railway until Ffynnongroew where the tide had gone out sufficiently to allow me to go along the beach. 

I was pleased to find I was able to walk through the Point of Ayr colliery which has been operating for over 100 years,  and out to the lighthouse, the most northerly point on mainland Wales.  This was the first stretch of holiday sands I had seen on the walk.  For the first time I felt I was on the coast proper and not on an estuary.



No comments:

Post a Comment