Sunday 20 March 2011

Day 6: 25/8/85 Colwyn Bay to Deganwy

Distance:  20.9 km (13.0 miles)      Total Distance:   57 miles


So here I am, back for another holiday walking the coast.  I had a very early start from the campsite and had begun walking from Colwyn Bay by 6.00 am.

Starting off from Colwyn Bay

The walk was very straightforward at the beginning. There was no chance of getting lost - it was along the coast road. The seafront road took me past Rhos-on-Sea and lasted until  Penrhyn where there were already people up taking an early Sunday walk.

Industrial archeology on Little Orme

The walk over the Little Ormes Head was steep. It was first climb of the whole walk, but the view of Llandudno from the top was spectacular. 
Looking back towards Penrhyn from Little Ormes Head

Llandudno from the Little Orme

Llandudno looked regal in the sunshine and I took in the pier too.

Llandudno from the pier

Most of the walk around the Great Orme was on the road.  The summer flowers on the western side were pretty.  

The western side of the Great Orme

I had a lunch appointment so needed to get back to Colwyn Bay to get the car.  After rounding the Great Orme I therefore cut back across the neck of the peninsular to Llandudno. On getting back to Llandudno however it started to rain.  I tried hitching a lift back to Colwyn but nobody was stopping in the wet conditions so I ended up walking back instead. 



I went to yet another Aunt and Uncles for dinner - this is getting to be a habit!   It poured with rain in the afternoon but cleared sufficiently in the evening for me to walk the stretch from from Llandudno to Deganwy, stopping when it got dark - and walk back again. I'd walked 13 more miles of the coastline but a good few more miles in the opposite direction today.

I camped at Conwy that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment