Saturday 5 March 2011

Day 5: 24/8/85 Rhyl to Colwyn Bay

Distance:  19 km (11.8 miles)      Total Distance:  40 miles



I drove up early from from Coventry and took the opportunity to visit an Aunt and Uncle of mine who live in Rhyl. They kindly gave me breakfast after which I thought it was about time I braved the strong wind and set out, crossing the River Clwyd and along the concrete promenade that took me all the way to Abergele.

The donkeys of Kinmel Bay having a quiet day

With lots of caravan parks, this stretch must be hell in good weather.  Hell that is if like me you like peace and quiet and watching nature, great that is if you like hustle and bustle of the seaside resort and noise of amusement parks. It was a very blustery day that kept all but a few holiday makers inside. I had lunch in a handy beach cafe - so I must be less critical. 

The walk to Colwyn Bay was a lot more interesting.  Near Llanddulas I passed two jetties alongside the A55, which load ships with limestone from local quarries. The shoreline itself was protected with strange concrete shapes. no doubt the result of an extensive research programme to find which shapes offer greatest protection and don’t slide over each other.

Trying to capture a moody shot - don't worry, it's the only one of the whole walk.

OK, I lie, here's another one that didn't work.
It's a jetty used for taking bits of Wales off to other countries.

Weird concrete shapes - sea defences?

Going mad with the camera - make the most of it, I don't take many photos at all after this year.

Walking in jeans - did I really used to do that!

Entering Colwyn Bay it was back to promenade again. I caught the train back to Rhyl and had a cup of tea before going to pitch the tent at Cwybr camp site. 

After setting up camp I went to have tea with my Aunt and Uncle and their daughter and husband over from America.  I wonder how many distant relatives I have living around the coast?  It may come in useful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment