Tuesday 22 March 2011

Day 7: 26/8/95 Deganwy to Bangor

Distance:  27.7 km (17.2 miles)      Total Distance:   70 miles



I parked the car at Deganwy and set off on what would be the longest days walk of the project date. I crossed the River Conway on the Telford's white suspension bridge in glorious sunshine, but rather than enter the walled town of Conway (Conwy in Welsh) I headed north along the quayside and past the smallest house in Britain. It was built as a fisherman's cottage and it is said that the last person to live in it was 6'3" - who do doubt developed a permanent stoop. 

Exiting the town I headed along the estuary and past the golf course.

The castle, built by the King Edward I in 1289 to try to keep the Welsh down lies on the west side of the river. It is built on top of the tomb of Llewellyn the Great, the last Prince of Wales.
Start of Day 7 - looking across the Conway estuary

Conway Castle on a wonderful summer day

Britain's smallest house - I know that 'cos it says so on the outside.

The morning was memorable for the road tunnel and the disused quarry buildings I past.  Apparently my grandfather had a job in one of these granite quarries for a short while.

One of the road tunnels on the A55 constructed in the 1930s - what a bore.

At Llanfairfechan I had lunch in a pleasantly done-out arty type restaurant on the sea front. 


It's dark in here - that's the sea over there.
Another tunnel - let's hope there's no lorry coming.


The road and railway certainly hugs the coast along this section

Between Llanfairfechan and Penrhyn Castle quite a few people appeared to be doing the same walk.  The path around Penrhyn Castle was tricky to navigate; it was very muddy and necessitated clambering over stone walls.  I scared the life out of some bloke sitting on the waterfront drinking a bottle of beer - he thought I was the ghost of Penrhyn Castle.  I shared a beer with him and chatted before making my way into Bangor and catching a train back to Llandudno Junction and walking back to Deganwy to collect the car.
Having a rest and looking back on the days walk so far

So I started and ended the day with a castle, the only difference being that Conway is authentic and Penrhyn is a mock castle built between 1820 and 1840.  Penrhyn Castle was designed by Thomas Hopper and built for the Pennant family who had made much of their fortune as owners of slate quarries in north Wales.  I felt like knocking on the door and asking for a tour round as my ancestors, many of whom worked in the slate quarries, obviously helped amass the Pennant fortune.

No comments:

Post a Comment