Saturday 19 January 2013

Day: 95 3/6/93 Malpas to Ruan Lanihorne

Weather: Fine
Distance: 15 km (9.3 miles)    Total Distance:  1250 miles

This was a fascinating day's walking.  From Malpas to St Clement was over a hill, along a well marked footpath.  The path then went up he bank of the Tresillian River which was empty. There were some herons and shelduck to watch. The first sign of human life was close to Pencalenick when I passed a woman but she wasn't in the mood to to say good morning.  There was then a fairly short road section up as far as Tresillian. 



I was disappointed to find that there was no access into Lord Falmouth's estate because I am sure that the track marked on the map as following the river would have offered great views. Instead, I had to go along quiet country roads and paths.  All the farms along this section belonged to the estate.  I met one farmer whist walking through his farm. He was well into his 80's and looked well on it.  He told me the correct way to negotiate the footpath through his farm - a few more signposts would have helped.

The minor road from Merther to Ruin Lanihorne was beautiful, through ancient woodland allowed to grow as it wanted, wild flowers in amongst the trees. I met up with Margaret and drove Margaret back that way on the way home to show her the beauty of the place.

I finished the walk earlier than planned so waited outside the pub having a beer.  It was as idyllic as the countryside I had just walked through!  Only two cars passed by on the road outside in the hour I was waiting outside in the sun.   


Ruan River at Ruan Lanihorne
Photo: Rod Allday, Geograph)
Margaret had taken Sean on his first visit to the beach.  He had had a good time playing with his first bucket and spade.  On the way back home we stopped off in the supermarket in Truro for some provisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment