Sunday 19 October 2014

Day: 107 4/4/94 Freathy to Cawsand


Weather: Cold and showers  Distance:  9.5km (5.9 miles)    Total Distance: 1353 miles

Margaret, Sean and I drove down on Saturday to Rowan Lodge, the B&B in Llanreath where I had stayed the previous October for a weekend and very much enjoyed.  It was an easy journey, since it was Easter rather than mid-summer and the traffic was light.  We made good time and in order not to arrive too early we decided to stop.  I turned off at Saltash, not really knowing where I was going, and we found ourselves at St Antony Passage, a village on the estuary just south of Saltash, and a good enough spot to stop for tea out of our flask and for Sean to see the sea.

At Rowan Lodge we had a warm welcome from the proprietors and their daughter granddaughter who was only a month older than Sean.

On the Sunday we went to the Easter service in the church over the road.  Margaret came down with a stomach illness and went back to the house, partly because of the illness and partly because the egg Sean had found in the hunt the egg chase was melting in his sweaty paws and making an awful mess.  Margaret got worse and went to bed. It started to pour with rain, but never the less I took Sean out for a little picnic in the car to West Looe and we talked to the seagulls.  When I got back I took him to the farm museum next door to feed the chickens and rabbits but it pretty wet and soggy.

Back in the house I gave Sean afternoon tea in the tea room and then chased Maisey and Sean around on the floor to tire them and me out!  Margaret made an admirable recovery later in the night and came downstairs for a while.

On Monday it was starting to brighten up a little.  Margaret dropped me off at Freathy, though I had to wait in the car for five minutes for a heavy shower to go by.  I was beginning to think if coming down over Easter was  not a good idea!  We made the decision that I would walk for a short distance and meet Margaret to survey the weather. I walked along Wiggle cliffs where the path broadly followed the road. This area was full of holiday chalets nestling in the cliffs. I met Margaret in a lay-by and got into the car whilst another heavy shower past.

I then walked onto Rame Head and took the path all the way up to the church on the head.  It was very windy at this stage but dry. I met Margaret again in the car park but since the weather was still holding out, we arranged to meet again in Cawsand.  It was a pleasant, comparatively flat walk to Cawsand and a lot less windy.  Good views were beginning to appear of Plymouth sound.

I popped into a pub on the harbour at Cawsand for a drink because I was early to meet Margaret and Sean.  They were having lunch in a nearby cafe at the same time.  I met them by the car in the car park and on the way home we called into the monkey sanctuary.  The monkeys roamed about freely so we could get very close to them though Sean was not overly impressed.  Back at Rowan Lodge I had one of Ann's cream teas.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment