Tuesday 21 October 2014

Day: 110 7/4/94 Sheviock to St Germans


Weather: Windy/overcast     Distance:  9km (5.6 miles)     Total Distance: 1377 miles


Having lost a days walking at the beginning of the holiday because of the bad rain and my wife being ill, we planned it so that I would do a short walk before lunch and we would travel back to Coventry in the afternoon.  We packed up the car and said goodbye to the Farbrothers.  It had been a good place to stay.

 
My wife dropped me off at the church in Sheviock and then took our son to the beach at Portwinkle for a windy walk.  From the church, I walked North-East down a country lane which later became a footpath thinking that I may be able to walk through the woods at the estuary, but there was signs saying it was private land only through the wood, so I had to backtrack up to the main road which was very frustrating to say the least.  With this possibility exhausted it meant that most of the remainder of the walk was along roads.  It was a fairly non-eventful walk along a moderately busy main road to Polbathic, some of it lined with woods.  Parts of the stretch had road works along it.  From Polbathic to St Germans was a quieter and the first part gained height and offered a view over the river inlet.

Since I was too early to meet my wife, I walked the small circle own to St Germans Quay.  On the way down to the quay, someone asked me if I was lost, I suppose it was an unusual place to see a walker.  Turning left at the river and under a very impressive viaduct, by far the most pleasant part of the days walk.  From there a path led upwards towards the Port Elliot Estate which was well fenced in with tall walls and large gates.

 
St Germans looked a nice village with some old houses.  At the railway station I walked over the bridge and met my wife and son who were waiting for me in the car.  We decided to eat before setting off on the main journey for home so I looked up the Good Beer Guide and found the Crooked Inn at Trematon, only a short drive from St Germans.  It was signposted off the main road and up a long drive full of bends and pot holes with amusing signs such as "this road was built with the aid of a grant from the EEC".  The pub was in a complex of what looked like converted farm buildings which also had an up market bed and breakfast and a children's play area and swimming pool. The most unusual aspect was the animal collection which included a pet goat in the bar.  We ate in the family room upstairs.  The trip home was easy it not being a Saturday. This was added to by my son sleeping for half the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment