Sunday 26 October 2014

Day: 117 31/5/94 Salcombe to Kingsbridge


Weather: Fine      Distance: 12km (7.5 miles)      Total Distance: 1460 miles


I woke up early at the Youth Hostel with sun pouring in through the tall windows and a good view across the estuary. The Canadian lad was also up early and packing to leave.  I washed and packed quickly and did not stay for any breakfast - mainly because I did not have anything!  The days of having to do a job in the mornings at Youth Hostels has now gone so I could leave with a clear conscience. 

The day began with going back down the very steep hill again and into South Sands.  The road then swept into Salcombe took another few ups and downs.  The road was in fact marked as being closed for cars and it soon became apparent why, because a bridge has collapsed.  A temporary footbridge had been erected fortunately, otherwise it would have meant a steep detour.

The narrow streets of Salcombe were peaceful except for a couple of newsagents open and a collection of delivery vans and street cleaners.  I tried to imagine how in another two hours the scene would be very different.  The north end of Salcombe changed from a twee tourist town to a working boat community, though much of it based on the pleasure boat industry.  Once out of the town I stopped to eat my breakfast - a can of pop and a couple of biscuits.  Walking up the estuary to Batson I was unsure if I could walk down the other side.  I saw someone in a porch putting on their walking boots so asked them. It turned out that I could walk all the way down to the headland past Sharps Manor along good footpaths, but when I turned northwards again my way was blocked to Lincombe because the path was closed to protect breeding birds. I feel much less aggrieved about closed footpaths if it is for a good reason and that reason is explained.

Quite a lot of the remainder of the walk was on minor roads except for a couple of footpaths that cut off corners.  One such path led around the back of Ilton Castle Farm, not  terribly well marked and I walked through the camp site annoying the camper's dogs.

Most cars had been very good at slowing down when they saw me, but one lady coming down the hill north of Blanksmill Farm, appeared determined not to loose speed for her ascent up the other side and sped past me cowering in the hedge.

The road into Kingsbridge was not all that picturesque, and the only highlight was a kestrel flying around the telegraph poles.  I walked into Kingsbridge which was a bit of a shock having been out in the countryside for four days.  The town was bustling. The car park along the river bank was full, this had been transformed into a fair ground next time we came down as a family.  In fact next time I returned, the whole town looked quieter but I am convinced this was only in my imagination.

I was some three hours early to catch the bus to Plymouth, but there happened to be one about to go.  I thought about spending time in the town and looking for the pace we had booked for our summer holidays, but instead decided that I did not like the crowds and caught he early bus into Plymouth.  The ride was bumpy.  The bus called into the Shire Horse Centre and through a couple of the villages I had already walked through.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment