Sunday 26 October 2014

Day: 115 29/5/94 Stoke to Averton Gifford


Weather: Fine    Distance:  21km (13 miles)     Total Distance: (1440 miles)


The breakfast at my B&B was good, but I was lessimpressed with the packed lunch which I had ordered; no drink and processed ham sandwiches which even I could not stomach!  I met a young couple at breakfast who were mountain biking; I saw them later at the start of the coastal walk at Stoke getting their bikes out of their car. I thought they would not manage much of the coast, but then they proceeded to turn up again at the mouth of the River Erme; quite how they got there I am not certain.

The walk to Stoke retraced the end of the walk the previous night.  I bought a canned drink off a very miserable person at the caravan site shop and then started the days walk.  Knowing that I would probably not be able to wade the Erme until after lunch, I did not rush the morning but enjoyed the cliff walk.  I stopped for a break at the Erme Mouth beach before going around the next wooded headland to the place to cross the river.

I surveyed where to cross for a while but it was not obvious and it was still a couple of hours before low tide.  It was here I met a couple of middle aged ladies who were also backpacking and waiting to cross the river.  I sat at the side of the beach and waited for the tide.  I saw a couple of men wade across at the wide mouth of the river and the lady backpackers then decided to have a go.  I followed, taking my boots off first; it was cold and in places a strong current but not deep enough to get wet shorts.  I had a chat to the ladies at the other side while putting on my boots.  They were hoping to reach Thurlstone but half expecting to have to get a taxi around the Avon, another tidal river and riskier to cross - I think they probably did.

The next part of the coast was again picturesque with some steep descents and climbs.  Certainly by the time I reached Charlborough, I was wondering if the ladies would make it since when I left them the more inexperienced one was having to stop for blisters.  Charlborough was a holiday resort beach with caravan sites, chalets and the smell of hot dogs.. Failing to find the club house open for a drink, I had a cup of tea from a snacks wagon.  Bigbury was not very exciting and had nothing to entice me to stop, though looking back I should have because by the time I got to the B&B I was tired and very thirsty.

After Bigbury I had to climb up the cliffs again, mainly on the main road, only to loose all the height again when the path dog-legged back down to the estuary an a steep track through farmland.  The path then swung back inland, up again, before levelling off, going through fields and than forming a track across a golf course.  After the golf course the path went down to the estuary again at the farm Hexdown.  I was a bit suspicious about whether walkers were welcome because there was an electric fence across the initial farm path.  At the bottom there was a deserted complex of farm buildings, a strange feeling.  I then came out onto a track through a wooded area - it looked safe enough but I disturbed a large fierce dog at one house. I'm glad it didn't escape. The owner drove pase a few moments later in a 4 wheel drive - looking very suspicious. I thought I had stumbled on a drugs smuggling operation or something.

A climb up the track, past an odd house, bought me back onto the road, and soon after left it again to cross some fields (the path being difficult to follow initially) and then down to the estuary.  The walk along the tidal road up into Averton Gifford was hot but pleasant.  I saw a heron and a family of swans with six cygnets.

I found the B&B without any trouble. It took me only a 50 yards off my track.  I was welcomed with a cup of tea.  My room was large but the place was a little old.  The bathroom in particular was strange, the water that came out into the old cast iron bath had bits in!

I went to the pub down the road, The Fishermans Arms, fairly early, had a couple of drinks and then salmon and potatoes.  A pleasant welcoming pub.  I got talking to a local family who had a child about the same age as Sean.  They had the great grandmother there from London who was in her 70's and looked very fit!  I then went back and watched the highlights of the Grand Prix and The Family by Roddy Doyle before going to bed, well tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment