Monday 7 September 2015

Day: 153 28/10/95 Fishbourne to Selsey

I parked in the very quiet and picturesque hamlet of Fishbourne.

The morning walk was quite pleasant along the estuary, especially through the wealthy villages including West Itchnor.  I passed many inlets containing yachts being taken out of the water for winter. I only had to cut seriously inland at one point near Dell Quay and walk down a farm road, where the path along the estuary disappeared.

East Head was a sandy outcrop, busy with people out for an afternoon walk.  Parts of East and West Wittering were less than pleasant, lots of holiday chalets bordering the shingle making it very difficult to find somewhere to walk with any solid footing underneath.

Selsey was also a strange place. I was unable to walk along the front, there was no promenade and the sea was battering the concrete blocking my way.  On the east side things improved and there was a promenade. I stopped by the lifeboat and got a bus back to Chichester and then another out to Fishbourne.


I tried to stay in the Youth Hostel at Arundel but it was full - half tern I guess, so I went to a B&B just off the main road in Fontwell owned by the Richards family. I went to Arundel for a pub meal, came back and they had a power cut in the main part of the house, but it was OK where my room was and sorted out by the morning so we could have a cooked breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment