Monday 7 September 2015

Day: 154 29/10/95 Selsey to Bognor Regis



Distance: 18 km  ( miles)    Total Distance:  miles

Today marked the end of all the inlets and the start of what I hoped would be easy progress for a while. I left the car in Selsey and tried to memorise what the bus stop looked like so I knew where to get off at on the way back. 

The first part of the walk was along promenade, and I would see a lot more of that kind of stuff over the next year!  I headed onto the pebbled spit of land at Church Norton before it became hard work and then about turned and started the circular walk around Pagham Harbour.  The first part was populated by birdwatchers out enjoying the fine weather.  There was a reasonably good path around until the village of Sidlesham.  The last section towards Pagham meant taking to the mud flats themselves but was only hard work in a couple of places.

As Pagham came closer the type of people changed - out went the bird-watchers and in came the holiday makers from the nearby caravan camps.  Around the last part of the circle and the concrete entrance to the harbour and some intrepid fishermen.  At last I started to head eastwards, but my enthusiasm was curtailed because I was forced to stay on the shingle beach for a long period of time.  This was very energy sapping and the scenery was not all that inspiring either. 

At last Bognor came into view and a proper promenade to walk along.  The end of the years walking and a celebratory milk shake in McDonald's - I should know better before a long bus journey - not in miles but the number of bends it goes around.


No comments:

Post a Comment