Friday 11 September 2015

Day: 156 21/1/96 Worthing to Brighton

Weather:  Cold

Distance: 21 km ( 13 miles)    Total Distance:    1937.6 miles

I had breakfast with the Richards’s themselves.  Mike thanked me because it was only when guests were staying did he have a cooked breakfast.  Glad to be of service Mike!

It was a finer day weather-wise than yesterday though it was still cold and windy.  Since it was so early, I managed to find a place to park on one of the side roads very easily - it was just a case of deciding which road would be safe.  Most of the day's walk seemed to be along concrete of one sort or another, much of it promenade. The wind and wearing a tight hat was giving me a headache, so I stopped and took a couple of paracetamol.  Perhaps the most pleasurable bit was between Lancing and Shoreham where the path left the road and there was a series of lakes on the inside of the path and the sea on the outside. 

At Shoreham-by-Sea the path disappeared and it was a case of walking on the suburban streets - the advantage being that it was out of the cold head wind.  I walked as far as I could along this little peninsular before turning the corner and heading back - swapping housing for light industrial units. 

I was lucky to find the footbridge took me back to the mainland, as it were, and then along the busy and narrow main road of what I presume was Shoreham itself past B&Q, car garages and other less than interesting places.   An even more lucky break was the pontoon type bridge back towards the sea, again saving me what would have been a long detour around the port.  There were hundreds of purple ribbons tied to a chain fence in the town - a sign of the battle to stop veal calf exports to the continent that had been fought and I think won the previous winter. 

This was real industrial dockland stuff now, and what looked to be a disused power station.  Near the harbor entry a number of fishermen huddled in a cafe but it did not look very appealing so I took to the concrete again towards Hove.  Once off the docks and onto the promenade again, I stopped in a cafe - a rather ramshackle type building on the middle of a green patch just back from the shore.  It was hard to believe but it seemed people were actually coming in for their Sunday lunch.

Eventually, through the poor visibility, the piers of Brighton appeared. The West Pier was a weird site, now derelict and not joined to the beach and obviously visited by graffiti artists periodically. It was strange because the seafront itself was well kept and lots of expensive hotels overlooked this sight.

The Palace Pier was in much better condition and even in the middle of winter doing good business. I stopped here, well in fact went on a bit to find a bus stop, but ended up doing a little figure of eight and catching the bus on the road perpendicular to the pier.  Once back I at cat I drove home to Coventry after a windswept weekend away! 



No comments:

Post a Comment