Monday 7 September 2015

Day:152 2/10/95 Prinsted to Fishbourne

Weather: Fine.no wind
Distance: 21 km  ( miles)    Total Distance:  miles

I decided as the forecast was good to have a day out walking.  I was up at 5.30am giving Gareth a bottle and then handed him over to Margaret and was on the road by 6.20 am.  I was surprised at how busy the roads were but there were no major hold ups.  Even Newbury was comparatively clear. The motorway around Portsmouth and Southampton were very busy and it was a relief to reach the very quiet hamlet of Prinsted.

Much of the day was spent walking on embankments, all in fairly good condition though was glad I wore my boots because some parts were muddy. It was less bleak than the walk around Thorney Island.  I met very few people all day.

At Cobnot Point the embankment disappears briefly and I was left to walk on the sand/mud made especially memorable because of a row of oak trees with very exposed roots lining the field fighting off high tide.

At Cobnot I got a little confused but was soon back on the coastal path. The highlight of the day was seeing two kingfishers in freshwater pools near Cobnot and what turned out to be a little egret a little further on in the mud of the estuary.

The little inlet at Chidham meant walking past large and thatched houses.  Many had boxes of apples outside free to anyone who wanted. I had been looking forward to Bosham after being told it was picturesque. I was not disappointed and was pleased to see it on a fine and not too busy a day.  Buildings in this old village came right down to the waters edge and the road got flooded at high tide.  I found just what I was looking for, a good tea shop and treated myself to home made ham salad sandwiches and a West Sussex cream tea - not unlike a Hampshire, Dorset, Devon or Cornish cream tea actually.  The view from the other side of the inlet were especially picturesque. No wonder a photographer was busy with tripod lining up the best view. 

The coastal route ran out opposite West Inchetor so I took to the country lanes, keeping myself amused by looking at what people were up to this October morning, having gardens landscaped, jobs done etc.  I caught up with another man out walking at Bosham Hoe.  He was from Brighton and looked just like Prince Michael of Kent.  We walked together for a while before he headed back to Bosham.  The remainder of the walk was also pleasant along quiet lanes paths and even a reed bed before entering the very picturesque village of Fishbourne with its large village pond and equally large houses.

The was enough for the day, a convenient place to stop I decided.   I called home to check everything was OK and then caught a bus back, a friendly bus driver telling me the best place to get off.  A a trouble-free journey home got me back by 5 o'clock.  A successful day and the exercise I needed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment