Friday 11 September 2015

Day: 155 20/1/96 Bognor Regis to Worthing

Weather:  Windy and cold

Distance: 25 km ( 15.5 miles)    Total Distance:    1924.6 miles

The forecast was dry so I decided late to have a weekend walking.  What I had not realised was that the forecast was also cold and windy -  very cold and very windy! 

I drove down from Coventry early and parked in a side street and had a cup of tea from the flask I had bought with me.  I then set off soon to realise that I was in for a battle!  The wind was sending waves crashing onto the promenade at Bognor and it was a case of wave dodging to get around some obstacles such as buildings.  I was well wrapped up but it still felt cold.  I stopped at a telephone box in Bognor and telephoned the B&B I had stopped last Autumn.  They were not there but his mother was and she said it would be OK to stay.

At Middleton-on-Sea my way was blocked because there was no promenade and the tide was right in preventing me from walking along the beach.  The trek inland did however give me a brake from the wind for a while.  I decided not to take the first path back down to the seafront since it was not evident that I would get anywhere and may end up backtracking again.

Eventually the path led through a new housing development and back to the sea.  Beyond that there was a mixture of official footpath and track to walk along though much of it was in a poor condition.

Up into Littlehampton was a usual mix of marinas and housing.  I stopped on the far side of the River Run as it appeared fairly sheltered before getting back down onto the beach. 

The remainder of the walk was along promenades - Sussex already seems a concrete county. 


After getting the bus back to Bognor I was pretty tired, phoned home, bought a large packet of biscuits and a couple of cans of beer and went to the Richards B&B.  I was so tired that night that I did not feel like going out, so stayed in with a packet of biscuits!

No comments:

Post a Comment