Monday 7 September 2015

Day:150 5/8/95 Brockhampton to Langstone

Weather: Sunny & hot.

Distance: 31 km  ( miles)    Total Distance:  miles

Breakfast at the Youth Hostel was cereal, a couple of croissants and toast. The Germans and the young lad at my table were uncommunicative so it was all silence. I asked about the washing up but apparently all that is done for you too these days. 

Parking the car at Brockhampton, I started the day by passing the sewage works and then a mile on the foreshore before crossing the Langstone Bridge onto Hayling Island. In the reports I had read from others who had walked around Britain, they had missed out Hayling because it was an island.  The road over was busy even early in the day.

There was a path and bridleway all down the west side built on the tracks of an old railway. Mountain bikers in particular were making use of this facility. Skirting though a suburban area and along a road I ended up on the beach looking back over to Portsmouth.

I could not tell from the map if there was access around the golf course but I need not have worried because it was all beach from here until Eastoke Point at the east side of the island. I alternated between walking on the beach itself and on the promenade. The crowds were out enjoying the hot sun.

Around the east side of the island there were less paths. I went all the way out to the peninsular even though the way back was along town roads. I found there was a pleasant
foreshore walk out to Mangham Salterns but after that it was back on the back roads and path.

I stopped at another pub for another pint of shandy.   The narrow roads through the village of Northney were very attractive but I was a bit too weary to appreciate it all by then.  Back over the Langstone bridge which was packed with cars by that time. I headed up towards Havant.  In need of the toilet I spotted one on the street map I had but when I eventually found it, it was closed then I saw McDonald's - one thing you can always be sure of with McDonald's is their good toilet facilities!  The air conditioning was also very much appreciated and so was their milkshake!

I spent a second night in Portsmouth Youth Hostel.  It was full this night. I had a shower and then went for a curry in Portchester and was glad to get the bill and find it was half price at six pounds - mind you twelve pounds would have been pretty pricey for what it was, but it was nice. The restaurant must have been going through a rough patch to offer meals at half price.

I was first in my dorm at just gone 9 o'clock but had no trouble in sleeping.



No comments:

Post a Comment