Friday 4 September 2015

Day:139 31/5/95 Studland to Wareham

Weather: Very good - sunny and breezy.

Distance: 21 km  (13 miles)    Total Distance:  miles

I got up fairly early again and was in the first car in the National Trust car park at Studland at just gone 9 o'clock. The sun was already out as I took the path down to the beach. The tide was out so I was fortunate in that there was fairly firm sand near the water's edge.  The guidebook states that walkers may like to skip this section as it is a bit of a trek but for me it was idyllic, the sun shining on the calm sea. 

About half way along the beach it turns into a nudist beach - since I was in a hurry I kept my clothes on but there were already sun worshippers taking advantage of the good weather and a very camp man draping himself over the sign saying nudist beach.  A couple of marine landing craft were out practicing beach landings. 

At Shell Beach the ferry leaves for Sandbanks and the end of the South West Way, but I headed inland again for the long way to Poole.  I followed the very flat road along Stuudland Heath and was relieved to get to the point where I could cut off and into the countryside. The next couple of hours were spent on forest trails and footpath and very pleasant it was too with hardly anyone around. After the first forest section I came to Over Farm and had to stop to wait for a herd of cows to come through a gate that I wanted to go through in the opposite direction. As ther ware daudling I shooed then along only to be confronted by a bull. I let him have the right of wat and quickly jumped over a naerby fence into an ajoining field to find an alternative route.

Through some more woodland and diverted footpaths and boggy ground - I was glad we were in a dry spell.  I came to Wytch Farm BP Oil field. I got slightly lost here but soon got back on the right path and around the oil field. I bumped into a very elderly farmer who asked me if I minded taking a certain path as the other I almost took went over his maize field and had only been designated a public footpath by his predecessor Mr Hopalong!  Although the way he told me was indeed the correct way I ended up in the corner of a field without much idea of where to go to cross the nearby Corfe River. I was fortunate that a farm laborer took pity on me and stopped his tractor to tell me he thought there was a bridge just a little further on and he was indeed correct.

I soon came out on a minor road on Slope Heath which I followed  for a couple of miles, eventually into the village of Ridge and then along the bank of the River Frome into Wareham. From the river bank I saw my bus leave to Swanage. I tried hitching and had three good lifts pretty soon after each other. The first was in a Land Rover from an agricultural plumber with a very friendly dog that had to be held down to stop eating me for lunch. The second was from a man who worked for the Nat West and drove a new white Astra - trying to sell mortgages that were not going too well. The third - also in a Land Rover - in the back this time was from a couple of birdwatchers who I had passed on the path the previous day.             


I arrived back at the car just as the bus from Swanage was pulling in proving that sometimes it is quicker to hitch even if you do need three lifts. Back at the flat it was a domestic afternoon. I popped up the shop and then looked after the boys whilst Margareet went shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment