Friday 11 September 2015

Day: 161 22/6/96 Hythe to Dover

Weather:  fine

Distance: 25.5 km ( 15.8 miles)    Total Distance:   2030.5 miles

This was an eventful day - full of incidents.  The first was not too pleasant when I was driving down early in the morning.  I was almost in Hythe when I made a mistake and cut across another car on a difficult junction. The two young men in the other car were not too pleased to say the least. 

I found where I had stopped walking last time and parked the car off the main road in a quiet street and started walking, cutting trough a park and some housing down to the beach.  Hythe front did not look too bad a place.  I walked past an area where they were busy reclaiming the beach by pumping up pebbles from the sea bed using a large suction device on a ship and pumping them back onto the beach.  It was evident that the beach had worn away over the years leaving a very large drop off the promenade.

Just before coming into Folkestone I stopped at a cafe next to the sea.  The price of things was high and I almost changed my mind however when the £1.20 flapjack arrived it was very nice - warm and topped with grated orange peel. No wonder the sparrows had become so tame - not that they had any of mine.  A number of us were sat there looking out to sea when someone spotted a canoe coming closer to the shore without apparently anyone in it.  As it came closer however it was apparent that it was being pulled along by a swimmer.  The Coast Guards arrived soon after, siren going but the swimmer was strong and needed no help in getting to the shore or lifting the canoe out of the water.  How he came to end up in the water without a paddle, a long way from anywhere, I am not sure.

Folkestone was bustling and after making one failed attempt to get into it (the way via the beach onto the pier blocked) I backtracked and went in via a fun fair.  People were eating sea food at a rate of knots.  Out of Folkestone the road climbed up a hill and I then cut down to the beach again and soon picked up a pathway at the bottom of the cliffs.  A couple of young lads on a motorbike sped past and hit my hand in the process. I am still nor sure whether it was on purpose or whether their apology was heart-felt.

After the path ended it was back onto the pebbles.  I passed a very strange shack at the bottom of the cliffs, surrounded by barbed wire complete with barking dog and weird looking character.  It was then past a sign saying “no entry - nature reserve not yet open, vegetation still growing” or words to that effect. As it appeared the way ahead was a concrete monstrosity I saw little hope of any vegetation ever growing so went ahead anyway.  It was quiet to the point of being eerie. 

At the Dover end of this it became apparent what was going on. This was reclaimed land built as part of the channel tunnel development recently opened.  The service tunnel entered underground at this point.  The tide had come in meaning that my way forward was now blocked and the way into the chunnel service tunnel, which included a small tunnel through the cliffs to Dover was surrounded by fences and cameras.  This meant I had to backtrack all the way to the no entry sign which should have read “no entry - there is no way out”! 

I was very worried that I would have to backtrack even further in order to get up the cliff but I spotted a narrow steep path going up Abbots Cliff which appeared very seldom used.  Although I feared that it was now unusable because of a cliff fall I decided to chance it anyway.  So steep was it that it needed to use the ropes present for long stretches.  Fortunately it did lead to the cliff top.  By the time I got there my heart was pounding - I don’t like the sight of sheer drops for such long periods.

The cliff top walk into Dover was very nice and used by mountain bikers.  The decent into Dover was down a steep path, over a railway bridge and along a beach.  I ended up in a dock area just before three o’clock so decided to watch the European Championship match between England and Spain on the TV in a pub full of fisherman.  I had a roll and a couple of pints of Guinness but only stayed till the end of normal time.  England eventually won on penalties.  The rest of my walk into Dover was along  busy main roads.  I tried to catch a bus to Folkestone on the main road but a driver of a little bus that did stop told me the bus I wanted did not come that way and I would have to go into Dover itself.  I had a fair wait for a bus there and in Folkestone bus station too . 

I stayed in Canterbury YHA (plus the usual contingent of school children - Gibraltan this time!) on the outskirts of the city, since Dover YHA was full.  I walked into Canterbury that night  but failed to find anywhere nice to eat so had a meal in McDonald's.



No comments:

Post a Comment