Friday 11 September 2015

Day: 158 12/4/96 Seaford to Bexhill

Distance: 30 km ( 18.6 miles)    Total Distance:    1972.4 miles


I had chocolate cake for breakfast in the Youth Hostel, which bought a few comments from the other healthy eating hostelers.  I told the Australian girl who had just finished her doctors exams, about the cliff top walk I did yesterday evening and where the Severn Sisters walk was.  I then set off and parked the car in the same pub car park as yesterday and walked down the east bank of the River Cuckmere to the sea.  It was a quiet still misty morning.  A group of workers with a JCB were repairing the path at the start of the climb up the first cliff which meant a slight tour inland to get back on the path. 

The Severn Sisters turned out to be not too strenuous and I took it fairly easy.  I was disappointed that it was so misty because there was no view from the tops of the cliffs.  Burling Gap has a hotel and not a lot else but a good place to stop and eat a bar of chocolate.  There were a few more people up the top of Beachy Head itself, all of us wondering where the summit was.  The sound of the traffic on the nearby road was a little eerie.  I got a little lost on the way down I think and took the path on the landward side. 

I had a rest when I got to the first civilisation and treated myself to the other piece of chocolate cake - this is walking how it should be.  I ate it whilst watching a group of foreign school children being unloaded from a coach and hump their suitcases across a road for a stay at a private school.  There was soon a path down onto the promenade all the way to Eastbourne where it started to drizzle, so I decided it was dinner time and went into a Fish and Chip restaurant - a F&C shop but with waiters in black suites - the English seaside at its best!

The afternoon walk to Bexhill was none to glamorous:  promenade, rough ground and flat boring roads.  The worst part was in an area marked Crumbles on the map and signified as waste ground, but in reality was a new housing development where I found it impossible to keep to the sea and was forced along the new estate, eventually getting trapped and having to ask a workman if I would go under a barrier to make my escape back to the coast.  Around a couple of lagoons and I was back where I wanted to be - well almost, I could have done with a path instead of shingle to walk on.  Some people are never happy eh. 

After leaving Pevansy Bay I got onto a minor road and followed it to Bexhill.  It passed through Norman’s Bay a village without much character and a host of ramshackle cottages / chalets. The suburbs of Bexhill were different however - affluent and smart.  I had a fair wait for a bus back so asked in the Tourist Information Office which was in the theatre.  They were good enough to give me a map.

I got the bus back and that evening ate again in the pub where I had parked and stayed in the Youth Hostel in Alfriston again - with the inevitable party of foreign school children. 



No comments:

Post a Comment