Monday 7 September 2015

Day:149 4/8/95 Portchester to Brockhampton

 Weather: sunny & hot.

Distance: 32 km  ( miles)    Total Distance:  miles

Another hot day but not quite as hot as the previous two.  I parked the car outside my employers, Courtaulds Performance Films warehouse and offices and popped in to check it was OK. I was amused that there was window film peeling off the window - a bit like the paint at Nawton Ferrers was fading.  

After a stretch of walking along the foreshore I went onto Horesea Island. Although much of this is still MOD property the first part is a marina development,  cinema, restaurant and office complex. Being a true coastal path walker I walked the section I could before coming back onto to the landward side of the motorway again avoiding the main road by going via a new Tesco being built and a Holiday Inn. Then along the main road outside the IBM headquarters which looked huge and full of private signs. I thought of calling in to see if an old friend of mine still worked there but decided to leave it to the end of the day to see how I felt.

Once under the motorway, there was a cycle track and walkway all the way into Portsmouth being enjoyed by a number of cyclists in particular. I was wondering if it was possible to walk around Whale Island but it turned out to be another MOD property so I had to give it a miss. The next couple of miles were around Portsmouth docks or at least as close to them as I could get.  The old boats, Mary Rose and HMS Victory,  were unfortunately on private land and had an admission fee so I had to give them a miss

I called in the TIC but they were not very helpful about accommodation or camp sites. I called into the railway station to get an idea of train times - seemed to be frequent.  Just before getting back to the coast proper I called in for my fist pint of larger shandy of the day.

It was then around old Portsmouth dock, yet another area being done up to make a marina development. I was amused to see one pub at the very head of the harbour had not the normal picnic type seats but rows of benched in its garden to allow visitors to sit and watch the procession of boats in and out of the channel.

Portsmouth then merged into the holiday town of Southsea, the first part being the worst i.e. amusement arcades and fun fairs. Southsea common was packed because it was flower festival weekend.  After that it was miles of promenade walking - pleasant enough because of all the people to watch!

I then found a pleasant foreshore path around the east. Halfway around I stopped at the Thatched Inn which seemed poorly named since it was tiled.  I became gruff with the barmaid when I saw her make up my shandy with dregs from the drip tray but then proceeded to drop my pint over a table because my hands were so sweaty!  I drank what was left and ordered another and only got charged for a half. I don't know what the moral of that story is. 

There was good footpath all up the east side of Portsea Island. I called in at the camping and cravan site to enquire about the price of camping and was quoted over nine pounds - for one person, one tent, one car! I tried to barter but was told the prices were fixed by the council - I don't think so somehow. I told then I could get B&B for much more.

Once I reached the main road I continued around Farlington Marshes, also blessed with a good footpath. Quite a number of people were our watching the wildlife. After a bit more foreshore walking I headed up into Brockampton and aimed to catch the train back to Portchester.  I bought a ticket from the machine and then entered into a farce. I got talking to a lady who had caught the wrong train and was trying to get back to Cosham, the station before Portchester. We realised after countless trains had gone past heading to Portsmouth that there was not direct train to Southampton and they all went via Portsmouth. I got the train and changed and the lady got a taxi in despair.


I saw on my map that there was a Youth Hostel in Cosham so decided to see if there really was. I eventually found it, in the middle of a housing estate!  It was an old mansion house in fairly good condition. I joined the YHA and booked in for 2 nights. I went out for a Chinese take away from Cosham and ate it in the marina in Solent Heights, but it was very poor take away and I had to force it down since I also was not too hungry with all the heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment