Friday 11 September 2015

Day: 157 11/4/96 Brighton to Seaford

Distance: 26 km ( 16.2 miles)    Total Distance:    1953.8 miles

I dropped the family off at Birmingham Airport for their holiday in Ireland and then drove myself down the South coast.  I'd booked into the Youth Hostel in Alfreston, so I knew where I wanted to finish the walk for the day.  I parked in the pub car park and then caught the bus without too much delay into Brighton. There was however a delay on the bus because it took a very long time and went inland at one stage to Lewes instead of just along the coast.  A very frustrating start to the day.  Even worse was the fact that I failed to get off at the right spot even though the driver promised to tell me when I was close to the pier. This meant a walk back through the very busy shopping centre of Brighton.  It was good to get going eventually.  I was hoping this was going the be a bit greener than the previous weekends walk back in January.

Another frustration appeared after the first hour.  I had walked though the new harbor complex only to find there was no exit on the far side back onto the Undercliff path.  It was not so much blocked by a water inlet, just what seemed to be the bloody mindedness of the yacht club.  A fence, barbed wire and a large drop appeared to mean that I would have to backtrack a mile.  After standing on top of a breakwater, looking at the drop onto the beach, for what seemed like a long time I decided to give jumping it a go - or actually lowering myself on the weathered piece of rope and then letting go and hoping for the best. I turned out not to be too great a fall and I was relieved.  The Undercliff path is talked about a lot in Brighton, but is actually another concrete monstrosity. Never mind, if it was not there it would mean a long walk on the road I suppose. 

The path ran out without much warning and I had to backtrack a little to get back up onto the cliffs at Saltdean.  I crossed the main road briefly to post some letters off was then onto the cliff top path.  Around Peachaven, the path followed the end of streets of bungalows on the low cliffs.  Around the Harbour Heights area of Newhaven the scenery changed to more green heathland before I saw a path down towards the breakwater.  A cafe nestled in the wasteland near the breakwater so I stopped for a cup of tea, the silence only broken by the sound of game machines.  People seemed to be drifting out from work for an early evening stroll.

The road into Newhaven took me past a marina and then over a swing bridge into Newhaven town itself.  Over the railway, my route veered back towards the sea. I decided to carry on at least until Seaford even though evening was approaching.  The back streets soon changed into a more industrial scene, the car park for the ferry and then over the railway again and into waste ground towards Seaford.  I picked up speed determined to walk back to where I had left the car rather than catch a bus back.  Out of Seaford the path went up onto the cliffs again and very pleasant it was too in the evening sun.  At one stage there was a large number of rabbits out and the scurried back into their burrows when I approached.

I was worried what the path up the banks of the Cuckmere River would be tricky in the failing light but it was reasonable.  Rather than go out again once I was in the Youth Hostel in Alfreston later, I ate in the pub where I had left the car - only spoil by the fact that the only seat free was outside the gents toilet and smelt like it.  Finding the Youth Hostel in the dark was a little tricky.  It was a good hostel in an old building with a dorm overlooking the valley.


No comments:

Post a Comment