Monday 7 September 2015

Day:151 6/8/95 Langstone to Prinsted

Weather: Overcast but warm.

Distance: 16 km  ( miles)    Total Distance:  miles


The first decision of the day was what to wear on my badly blistered feet. I chose boots to give more protection and on the basis that a short walk around the Youth Hostel car park gave me little bother. I aimed to walk around Thorney Island and make a decision after that about if to go any further.

I parked in the pub car park in Langstone which doubled up as a public car park, visited the public toilet and set off along the coast to Thorney Island. The walk to Emsworth was pleasant and varied, along foreshore, woodland, fields of crops and a church graveyard with a sad sight of a children's section. Onto the foreshore at Emsworth, but had to head inland when the path on the map did not appear in practice.

The entry onto the island was through a marina and then onto the coastal path proper. I had read that the island was MOD property and the public were only allowed around the outside.   - I wasn't however expecting the high fence, close circuit TV and intercom that greeted me at Great Deep. I had seen a group of people go through before me so thought it was open. The notices detailed how I had to report via the intercom.  I gave my name and address and when asked my purpose on the island said I was walking the coast of Britain. He said I could enter and wished me the best of luck.  I caught up the other group and commented that if the milkman had to go though that every day he must get a bit cross.

The walk around the island which consisted mainly of a disused airfield and occupied barracks was uninteresting and the path in variable condition.  By the time I reached the village of West Thorney, where the marina looked a lot more busy than the church even though it was Sunday, I was tired and the feet getting sore again.  I made the decision to finish the holiday at Prinstead.  I used the intercom to ask to be allowed off the island and bade them farewell. 

I finished for the days walk at the pretty village of Prinstead.  I tried hitching for a few minutes once on the main road but a bus soon turned up which I took back to Havant and then walked back to Langstone.

It had certainly been the hottest period of walking I'd ever done.  I was pleased because of the distances I covered especially in such hot conditions. I had not walked such long distances for a many years.

I called in the Harrow at West Isley, north of Newbury, on the way back for yet another larger shandy and to try to get a pie but they had none.  When I got back I had a couple more very relaxing enjoyable days off before the family got back from Ireland on Tuesday afternoon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment