Friday 1 January 2016

Day: 176 31/5/97 Canvey Island to Southend

Weather:  Windy, sunny and warm.

Distance:  19 km (11.8 miles)    Total Distance:   2266 miles

Margaret dropped me at Canvey Island promenade and I headed east along the front before turning north around a little inlet and then on the outside of a caravan park.  I could see Hadleigh Castle on the opposite bank of Benfleet Creek.  It did not look too far away but I was misjudging how long it would take me to get to the head of the creek.  The paths were in pretty good condition and the weather was good. 

On the north side of Benfleet creek the path was busy with cyclists as well as walkers.  It was good to get to Leigh on Sea and see the boats and fishermen.  I thought it was going to be just a tourist place but it had much more character than that.  I stopped and bought an ice-lolly and had a quick stop to eat it before setting off on my dash for Southend Pier.  I made it just about 10 to 15 minutes late.  Margaret has taken the boys to a little fun fair near the pier, not too successfully as they didn't jump at the opportunity of going on many of the rides. I was however a bit too hot and tired to enjoy my dinner at my aunt and uncle's house and drank a couple of pints of water to rehydrate.   

No comments:

Post a Comment