Monday 4 January 2016

Day: 189 29/8/98 Harwich to Cattawade

Weather:  Fine, warm, sunny intervals.

Distance:  19km ( 11.8 miles)    Total Distance:   2474miles

The forecast was for fine and dry weather all weekend so I headed off with the tent in the boot of the car.  We had just had a very pleasant two and a half weeks holiday in Ireland and done some walking in both Kerry and Wicklow.  I therefore felt relatively fit.  Nevertheless I aimed to have a relaxing weekend and only do short walks and hopefully not get blisters.

I parked on the front in Harwich by 9.30am, used the public toilets and headed off at a leisurely pace.  I read that Harwich was the place the Mayflower set off from.  The container port of Felixstowe was busy as ever. Passing a storage area for buoys I was then on busy dual carriageways for the next half-hour.  Passing over a tall bridge I stopped to look at a fox exploring a railway line. It was being followed by four magpies one of which sat on its back!  The road down to the International ferry terminal was busy as one of the new HSS ferries unloaded. 

I found the path through Parkeston which took me through and past the Carless Oil terminal and a golf course.  The next couple of miles was along a dirt track and then briefly onto a B-road before eventually turning off down through a nature reserve and towards the sea.  I stopped once I got to the coast and had a very pleasant sit down under an oak tree whose roots were exposed by the effect of the tide.  

Through some fields and it was then onto the beach at Wrabness.  Here was a mile of chalets much larger than normal more a Californian tree house style.  Towards the end of this line of chalets I was worried about the lack of path on the map and tried to cut up through the huts but a lady stopped me and said I should go on and rejoin the path further on.  This I did and it was good advice.  Much poorer advice was received from a couple of cyclists near Nether Hall who advised me to carry on even though there was no path on the map but there were styles.  The path ran out however and I was in a mud bank quite soon.  I turned back and got up onto the road to Mistley.

Coming into Mistley I passed a signpost to a secret bunker which seemed a bit strange because if there was a signpost to it how could it be secret.  I went to investigate it and it was the place that Essex would house its nuclear war command post.  I decided it was not my sort of thing so did not pay my money to go in.  

Coming into Mistley that was a wonderful smell around which I at first thought was food but it turned out to be coming from a malting operation.  Mistley was full of redundant malt housed plus Edme’s current operation housed in a fairly run down building.  I had thought Edme only made home brew kits but I guess it must supply malt extract to other breweries.  I spotted a second hand book shop and bought a Margaret Attwood novel then went over the road to a tea shop and had a wonderful pot of fresh coffee and a piece of fruit cake.  I am very taken by this relaxing walking pace. 

It was then onto Manningtree skirting most of the town, onto a riverside walk and then over the River Stour into Suffolk.  The end of Essex at last!  I explored briefly where I would start the next day and made sure there was somewhere to park.  I re-crossed the river and went to the station to see if that was easier than getting a bus back to Harwich.  The station was full of Sunderland fans that I found a little confusing but later realised that they were playing Ipswich in an evening kick-off. 


Once I collected the car I went to the campsite I had booked in the village of Bradfield.  It was in a field behind the Stranger’s Home pub and only cost £3.50 per person and was very acceptable indeed.  An aviary next to the toilet block added a touch of the unusual. I ate early in the pub – chilli con cani and went to bed early after a very enjoyable bay!

No comments:

Post a Comment