Monday 4 January 2016

Day: 190 30/8/98 Cattawade to Shotley Gate

Weather:  Fine, warm, sunny intervals.

Distance:  19km ( 11.8 miles)    Total Distance:   2486miles

I was up by 6.30am and walking by 7.00am.  I parked the car near a disused bridge in Cattawade and headed off down through an industrial estate.  The path was hopping with wildlife, in particular rabbits, on this fine dry morning.  I was surprised that the fence around the ICI factory was full of holes and not very secure.  The path went by a picturesque pond and then doubled back around the factory before going over the railway and onto the riverbank.  I was very impressed by the fine condition of the path that had obviously been well maintained just recently.

Sutton Mill was a fine house with lots of interesting buildings and gardens.  The path sort of led through their front garden but there were no nasty anti-rambler signposts up.  At Dovehouse Point the path led inland up to Sutton through fields.  Turning right into the tranquil and well to do village.  

At the church the path once again went through someone’s back garden and gave excellent views of the very impressive Royal Hospital School which itself had views over the estuary.  The path now lost height again down to the coast. 

From here on the state of the path deteriorated and was either along the muddy / sandy banks of the estuary itself or along the edges of fields many of which had been ploughed up to the edge putting off would be walkers. Fortunately the crops had been mainly cut so there was no forcing myself through wheat fields.  Some places even had signs up saying private land even though there is a footpath on the map.  The potato fields were about the worse with their deeply rutted nature.  At times the path led through woods which was much more pleasant.  Towards Shotley Gate the path again improved and I got there an hour before the bus was due to depart.

Being early I decided to hitch and very slowly strolled out of the village up the main road.  I was picked up by a young couple in a BMW who had been out house hunting.  A relative of his was a Sunderland fan and it was he and the fan I had seen at the station yesterday who was the happier following the 2-0 win over Ipswich last night!  I got dropped at the turning for Holbrook and soon got another lift into Holbrook from a middle-aged man living in the village I think.  I got dropped outside a wonderful tea shop and went in for a coffee and a piece of chocolate cake and a read of the papers!  

I walked to take a look at the Royal Hospital School and ran into people doing a treasure hunt who stopped to ask me if I recognised pictures but were not the sort to give me a lift. Once I got as far as Sutton I got a lift from a Wolves supporter whom was down visiting his mum and had been out on the beach in Harkstead.   I got dropped off at Cattawade and went to the pub and watched the Belgium Grand Prix over a Guinness.  I missed the first start that ended in a multi car pile up.  The restart and rest of the race was also full of incident.  Hill eventually won his first win since joining Jordan. Shumaker got very upset with Coulthard and blamed him for a crash in which Schumaker ran into the back of Coulthard. 

Back at the campsite I got talking to a Dutch couple who were camping next to me.  They had bikes and I thought they had just got off the ferry for a short ride around Essex, but they had been 1200 miles all over England and were very impressed with the Yorkshire Dales. 

I tried to eat in the pub that night but it was not serving food so instead I drove to Ipswich to have a look at the Orwell Bridge to make sure I could walk over it and got a Chinese take away and took it back to the river side at Manningtree to eat before going back to the camp site for an early night.


No comments:

Post a Comment