Saturday 2 January 2016

Day: 182 20/2/98 Bradwell Waterside to Maldon

Weather:  Mild, dry and breezy.

Distance:  30.5km (19 miles)    Total Distance:   2356 miles

I parked the car at the waterfront in Bradwell Waterfront and hoped that my car would not be under water when I returned! I headed off at a steady pace along the sea wall, following a detour inland at one stage because the sea wall had been breached, but the sign-posting was good and there was no mistaking what to do. 

The entire walk up until Ramsey Island was along sea-defences but I had to take to the sea front for a time at Ramsey Island. Just why is it called an Island? There was no right of way once the path reached Stransgate Abbey Farm that was also a marina of sorts. Instead the path headed inland.  I saw a dumper truck dumping the last remains of a load of tarmac into a lay-by.  I guess he was allowed to because it was an Environment Agency lorry.  A bit further on back on the sea-defences, the blisters on the feet started to appear! I stopped and applied a plaster but in reality that was the start of the misery! 

Mayland and Lawling Creeks were two large inlets.  I walked reasonably fast but by now I was getting tired and the feet were getting worse.   I had half an eye on the watch by now because there was only one bus I would catch back to Bradwell Waterside and I did not fancy hitching all that way.  I should not have worried because I made reasonable progress.

As soon as I hit Maldon it became very busy with lots of people out enjoying themselves in a park close to the waterside.  I stopped the days walk at the bridge over the river and hobbled up into Malden town centre to establish where to get the bus.

It was a shame I did not have more energy and time to explore this pretty and old town.  I just had enough will to get to the Tourist Information Centre to ask about whether there was a bridge over a river near the start of tomorrow’s walk.
 
The bus came but scared me by being some fifteen minutes late.  Although quite crowded at the beginning, it soon thinned out and I was about the only person on it from the outskirts of Maldon all the way to Bradwell Waterside.  I was very relieved to see my car, dry on the quay.  I returned to my aunt and uncles for what would be my last night of their wonderful hospitality.

    


No comments:

Post a Comment