Friday 1 January 2016

Day: 178 14/9/97 Rochford to South Woodham Ferrers

Weather:  Bright & warm, breezy in afternoon.

Distance:  34 km (21.1miles)    Total Distance:   2307 miles

This was one of those days when I felt completely exhausted at the end, partly because it in itself was a lengthy walk and partly because yesterday’s walk was also long.  I parked in a side street near Sutton-Bridge Farm.  The first part of the walk was through an industrial estate that challenged my map reading skills.  Eventually I found the path out which then led to another industrial development – a mill of some sort I think.  Over a bridge inside the factory and then past an elderly people’s home and down to the estuary. 

The next long stretch was along the sea defenses to Paglesham Creek. The sea wall petered out into fields. I ventured briefly onto Walsea Island, deciding not to go too far as it was a one-way path just along the north side of the island.  After half a mile along the road I took a left turn down to the marina and stopped in a small café I found and awarded it the worst managed café I had found.  The lady running it seemed to be new at the café management job and was all at sixes and sevens.  I eventually got what I wanted which only left paying the bill which took an equally length of time!  Turning west past the marina and then past a caravan park.  Back over the bridge off Walsea Island and then right onto the sea defenses once again. 

A long haul along featureless sea defenses but a picturesque river setting bought me to South Fambridge and at least a couple of people out walking.  Now I was hopping that there was a path across the large inlet before Hullbridge but when I got there it was very evident that this was a footpath on the map only and that the sea wall had been breached long ago. 

I walked inland along a path that was overgrown and then made the decision to try to keep going along the inlet even though there was no path on the map.  It was touch and go and I got lost a couple of times as well as being concerned about being told off by an irate land owner which never occurred fortunately.  Eventually I fought my way back to the river and to Brandy Hole, a little tourist hamlet.  I was exhausted by now and had sore feet!

At Hullbridge the tide was out and the river looked as if I would be able to wade it.  I decided to go for it and not wanting to cut my feet I just waded it and back again probably much to the amusement of people watching from either bank.  On my return I got questioned by a couple of children who were wondering what on earth I was doing. 

I had parked my bike at the car park at Hulbridge but decided to wait for a bus that was due soon.  The driver however confirmed that he was only going to Southend and he did not know if there was another bus to Rochford.   I therefore took the bike even though I was tired.  I proved I was very tired when on the way back I shouted at a jaguar car that came around a roundabout and was perfectly doing right but for some reason I thought I had the right of way – they must have been very confused!  Not only was it a long ride back but I also got lost a couple of times so it was late when I got back to my aunt and uncle's and they were starting to get worried if I was OK.



No comments:

Post a Comment