Thursday 7 January 2016

Day: 195 29/10/98 Ramsholt to Shingle Street

Weather:  Fine, cool and very windy.

Distance:  15km ( 9.3 miles)    Total Distance:   2545miles

We drove to Ramsholt and I left Margaret and the boys having a quick walk on the beach.  I then backtracked up the road and then turned right along another quiet county road.  

Near Alderton House I had a decision to make; whether to take the long way around by the road or risk the farm tracks all the way to Middle Barn.  I chose the latter.  I half guessed that this was a private track but there were no signs saying so and it looked more like a minor road than a private track.  Halfway along however after a mile or so I came across a farmer and son in a Range Rover and a farm laborer on a tractor.  They were working in a field next to the track I was walking along.  I thought I would get away with it and be ignored but I was wrong. The farmer and son came leaping across the ditch asking me what I thought I was doing. In order to diffuse the situation I told them I was walking around the coast of Britain and had made a mistake in thinking this was a road as opposed to a private track.  Eventually I was allowed to carry on having convinced them I would never be back.  I was warned however that the owner of the next piece of land was not as kind to trespassers and risked getting turned back.  This meant that for the next couple of miles I feared coming across the farmer. I did indeed pass a tractor and a couple of game shooters but neither stopped me.  It was a relief however to get back onto the main road. 

I turned right and made my way down to the quay at Bawdsey Point.  A row of houses clung to the shore looking as if they received a good battering from the weather for most of the winter.  I was also relived to see that there was a path around the point and back northwards along the beach.  Bawdsey Manor appeared a large and strange building looking out of place on the coast.  It was great to be walking on the beach again with waves washing in. 

The beach continued for a couple of miles and when the going got tough, a path appeared at the top of the beach and continued past three Martello Towers in various states of disrepair.  I was gradually being forced inland by both the path, fences protecting dunes and small areas of water.  The fierce wind coming in off the sea did not help either! Eventually I arrived at Shingle Street and another row of houses looking isolated and lonely.  Margaret and the boys were there waiting for me huddled in the car out of the wind.  They had been to Woodbridge where Margaret had bought a ring (didn't she buy one yesterday?) and the boys a couple of activity books.  Gareth really liked his book of flag stickers. 

We went onto Snape Maltings in the afternoon – a collection of old buildings converted into craft shops etc. Then we went to explore Aldeburgh where we had tea and cakes and a quick walk on the beach.  Back at the youth hostel the boys were harder to amuse because the other children had gone. Gareth seemed to be following us everywhere with his flag book. 


No comments:

Post a Comment